The Office of International Programs (OIP) staff is neither qualified nor permitted to give individual tax advice.

Note: Students with complicated tax situations may wish to consult with a tax preparation service, professional tax accountant, or tax attorney who is knowledgeable about nonresident tax law.


What forms do I file?

All F-1 international students are required to file appropriate tax forms to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by the appropriate deadlines.

The forms that are required depend on your situation. Below is a breakdown of the types of forms you will need for the most common situations students face during tax season:

Students who earned an income during the tax year

  • Form 8843
  • Form 1040 NR or 1040 NR-EZ
  • Form 540 for California State Taxes

Students who didn't earn any income during the tax year

  • Form 8843

Where can I get help filing my taxes?

You can file your taxes with Sprintax (click here).

Sprintax specializes in international student's tax filing and will help you make sure you file them properly. 

What do I put for Questions 9 and 10 for Form 8843?

For question 9, enter the following information:

City College of San Francisco
50 Frida Kahlo Way
San Francisco, CA 94112 415-239-3000

For question 10, enter the following information:

Office of International Programs (OIP)
City College of San Francisco
50 Frida Kahlo Way, San Francisco, CA 94112

Where do I send my forms? 

Once you finish filing your taxes using Sprintax, they will give you the forms to print and the address to send the forms to. 

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is for general information purposes only. While we endeavor to keep this information up-to-date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products or services. We are not tax professionals and any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement by City College of San Francisco’s Office of International Programs (OIP).