F-1 Credit (Academic) students may apply to work in any on-campus job that is listed under the “Lab Aide” category. On-campus employment does not have to be related to your program of study and there is no waiting period to qualify.
IEP students are not eligible to work on-campus.
U.S. immigration regulations restrict on-campus employment to:
- Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during academic semesters and
- Full-time during vacation or school break periods.
Most CCSF Lab Aide jobs are limited to a maximum of 15 hours a week during any given semester.
To be eligible, F-1 Credit (Academic) students are required to:
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 12 units) or have received previous authorization for a reduced course load (RCL). For on-campus work in the Summer semester, F-1 students must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 units (Summer only).
- If on an approved Reduced Course Load (RCL), must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units.
- Have a valid or legal F-1 student status. Students who are currently out-of-status are ineligible to work on campus.
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. If it is your first semester and you don't have a GPA yet, you can ignore this requirement but it will be taken into consideration for any future on-campus employment.
- Be a current, continuing student at City College of San Francisco. On-campus employment eligibility at CCSF ends when the student completes his/her program of study at the college or transfers to another institution.
- Have no holds on current student account.
F-1 Credit (Academic) students are also required to complete all hiring eligibility procedures as their domestic counterparts, called SHEP. SHEP requirements can be found either in your myRAM student portal or on the student employment website.
Procedural steps have changed and an employment authorization letter from the Office of International Programs is no longer required. Once you are offered a job, your hiring supervisor will send your hiring letter to the Office of Student Employment (SEO), and SEO will contact our Office for International Programs for authorization directly.
First Semester Credit (Academic) Students: The Office of International Programs recommends that students focus on their studies their first semester before seeking employment on campus. If you wish to seek employment your first semester and are offered a job on campus, please allow 10 business days after the start of the semester before requesting authorization to work to allow your record to be up to date. See the Social Security Number page for more information.
- Student looks at available job postings via their myRAM Portal, and applies for job. Student completes all SHEP requirements via their myRAM Portal.
- Student's hiring supervisor offers them a job. Supervisor submits the Job Offer Letter Form to the CCSF Office of Student Employment (SEO).
- SEO will send the request to our office (OIP) if student is an F-1 student.
- OIP will check the student's holds, enrollment, and status to see if they are eligible to work on campus.
- OIP will submit the approval form to SEO, or let the student know directly if they are not eligible.
- Student will receive updates from SEO or their supervisor, regarding when they are ready to be hired.