F-1 students may apply to work in any on-campus job that is listed under the “Lab Aide” category. On-campus employment does not have to be related to your program of study and there is no waiting period to qualify. U.S. immigration regulations restrict on-campus employment to part-time (20 hours per week or less) during academic semesters and full-time during vacation or school break periods. However, most CCSF Lab Aide jobs are limited to a maximum of 15 hours a week during any given semester. 


In order to accept employment on campus, international students must obtain authorization to work from the Office of International Programs (OIP) and complete all Student Hiring Eligibility Procedures (SHEP) before starting employment.

To receive an on-campus employment letter, international students are required to:

  • Be enrolled full-time (minimum 12 units) or have received previous authorization for a reduced course load (RCL). For on-campus work in the Summer semester, F-1 students must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 units (Summer only).
  • Have a valid or legal F-1 student status. Students who are currently out-of-status are ineligible to work on campus.
  • Be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. If it is your first semester and you don't have a GPA yet, you can ignore this requirement but it will be taken into consideration for any future on-campus employment.
  • Be a current, continuing student at City College of San Francisco. On-campus employment eligibility at CCSF ends when the student completes his/her program of study at the college or transfers to another institution.
  • Have no holds on current student account.

International students are also required to complete all hiring eligibility procedures as their domestic counterparts. SHEP requirements can be found either in your myRAM student portal or on the student employment website. To request an employment authorization letter, you will need to complete a Letter Request Form.

The Office of International Programs recommends that students focus on their studies their first semester before seeking employment on campus. If you wish to seek employment your first semester and are offered a job on campus, please allow 10 business days after the start of the semester before requesting authorization to work to allow your record to be up to date. See the Social Security Number page for more information.