F-1 students may be authorized by a DSO to participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT) that is an integral part of an established curriculum within the student’s program of study. This type of authorization is directly linked to an internship or work-experience course, and the course must be available in the term the student wishes to pursue off-campus employment with CPT. This benefit is available for F-1 students who have completed a minimum of a least one academic year (2 semesters) in their program, excluding time spent at language schools. 

Please note: whether an opportunity is paid or unpaid, all international students must be authorized by a DSO if the internship is done for class credit. Please direct all questions about CPT to a DSO in Cloud Hall 212 or by emailing international@ccsf.edu 

Part-Time CPT

Part-Time CPT is the most common type of CPT. Part-time CPT is available for students during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters if there is an internship/work-study/field experience course available the same semester that is required or integral to the program. Students are limited to 20 hours of off-campus work per week and must continue to maintain full-time student status. Accrual of time using this work authorization does not affect eligibility for future Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Full-Time CPT

Full-Time CPT is not as common for students studying at City College. Full-time CPT is only available for students during break periods and summer term. Full-time CPT also requires an internship/work-study/field experience course available in the semester or break listed. Accrual of time using this work authorization may directly affect eligibility for future Optional Practical Training (OPT). For every two months of full-time CPT, a student may lose one month of OPT. After twelve (12) months of full-time CPT, an F-1 student may no longer be eligible for OPT.


To pursue CPT, a student must:

  • Have completed a minimum of one year in credit classes (2 semesters)
  • Currently have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
  • Be enrolled in an internship/work study/field experience course that is required or an integral part of the curriculum for their program 
  • Secure a job/internship offer related to field of study
  • Obtain CPT authorization before beginning employment.

How Do I Apply?

To apply for CPT, please contact international@ccsf.edu to verify your eligibility first, and then fill out the "CPT Request Form" located in the "Forms" section of our website.