International Students maintain lawful status in the United States if they are making normal progress toward completing their major of study and are following immigration regulations. For more information on the benefits and restrictions of your F-1 student status, please visit the "Maintaining Status" menu bar of this webpage (under "Current Students"), or contact a Designated School Official (DSO) in the Office of International Programs in Cloud Hall 212.

Your Responsibilities as an F-1 Student (Brief Overview)

1. Enrollment Requirements

  • Enroll in a full course of study – a minimum of 12 units – at the beginning of Spring and Fall semesters (no later than 21 days after the official start date of the semester)
  • Enroll in at least 9 in-person units of classes with required on-campus meetings, out of the 12 required units total. No more than 3 online units count towards the 12 units full-time requirement.
  • Make academic progress towards Certificate, Associate Degree, or transfer requirements.
  • Consult with the OIP (Office of International Programs) before dropping below a full course of study for any reason.
  • Report any changes in your program/major of study to the OIP.
  • Report any other change in academic status to the OIP.
  • Enroll in the mandatory health insurance plan.

2. Travel

  • Request a travel signature on your form I-20 from the OIP before traveling outside the United States, and ensure that your passport and F-1 visa are valid and unexpired.

3. Employment

  • Consult with the OIP before engaging in any kind of paid or unpaid employment, internships, volunteering or practical training; do not work without receiving the appropriate employment authorization in advance.

4. SEVIS Immigration Records Update

  • Report address and/or phone number changes to the OIP within 10 days of the change.
  • Report any change in sources of financial support to the OIP.
  • Report any change in your passport (e.g. loss, renewal) and keep your passport valid a minimum of six (6) months into the future at all times. 

5. Change of Status

  • Consult with the OIP for basic information on applying for change of status.
  • Notify the OIP upon approval of a change of status.

6. Program / I-20 end date

  • Be aware of your program end date on your I-20. Remain in the U.S. for no longer than sixty (60) days after completing your program or after completing an authorized period of Optional Practical Training.
  • Notify the OIP if you leave the U.S. after the end of your program.
  • Notify the OIP if you intend to transfer.
  • Consult with the OIP before your current I-20 program end date to extend your program.