A program extension is an extension of the Form I-20 program end date. Deadlines for program extension are generally 30 days before the end of the semester when your I-20 expires. Please check your CCSF email for reminders of upcoming program extension deadlines for every semester.
- Must be in good academic standing (GPA 2.0 or above)
- Must be in good immigration standing (active F-1 status)
- Must have been making progress towards program completion
Other requirements not listed above may also apply.
Program Extension Approval
Program extensions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If you have any questions about extending your program, please come to Cloud Hall 212 and ask to speak with a DSO about your particular situation, or email email@example.com
Sample reasons why students may request an extension
The following is a list of examples of a situation that do may qualify for an extension. Other situations not detailed above may also apply.
- Change of major
- Classes required by major not offered
- Changes to degree / program requirements that require additional coursework
- Medical reasons that delayed studies
Situations that generally do not qualify for an extension
The following is a list of examples of a situation that generally do not qualify for an extension. Other situations not detailed below may also apply.
- Academic probation without qualifying life event
- Qualifying life events include student illness (mental or physical); serious illness or death in the family; other serious life events outside the student's control
- Students who have not made sufficient progress towards program completion (by not taking the required courses to complete their program listed on their I-20)
- Students who have already completed their program of study and then change their mind about transferring, returning to their home country, or applying for OPT
- Students whose "Program End Date" has already passed
How to Request an Extension
To request a program extension, please complete the Program Extension Form and Financial Support Form and submit them to the Office of International Programs along with a recent bank statement. You will notice that the program extension must also be signed off by an academic counselor, and must be accompanied by an updated educational plan (ed plan).