City College no longer offers English and Math placement tests. Instead, you may use our online assessment form to receive your transfer-level English and Math Course Placements.
All new students to City College of San Francisco are required to participate in the New Student Orientation. The orientation introduces you to the essential programs, services, and information to better prepare you before your first semester.
Online Assessment Form
- You may receive transfer-level English and Math course placements based on your high school/college transcripts or test score data (AP, SAT, ACT, etc.).
- Submit your high school/college transcripts or other supporting documentation along with the Online Assessment Form.
- Students who feel they need additional language acquisition support may want to take the Credit ESL Guided Placement Tool or talk to a counselor about the ESL sequence at CCSF.
Your placement results can be viewed on your myCCSF student portal. After you receive your placements, please meet with a counselor to develop your educational plan and complete our online orientation.
Students will receive an English placement into either:
- English 1A without support (take 1A by itself)
- English 1A with support (take linked sections for 1A and 1AS)
After passing 1A, students may take one of the following second-semester English classes:
- English 1B (Writing about Literature)
- English 1C (Writing about Nonfiction)
In order to meet the CCSF Written Composition graduation requirement, you must complete ENGL 1A or equivalent.