The Plumbing apprenticeship program is administered by the Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry U.A. Local 38 with City College as the Lead Education Agency for San Francisco.
The Plumbing apprenticeship is approved by the State Division of Apprenticeship Standards to provide training in Plumbing, Steam Fitting (Pipe Fitting), and Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Service. During the course of the apprenticeship, apprentices will be paid while receiving on-the-job training. Apprentices are required to attend Related and Supplemental Instruction Classes in the evenings, two nights per week.
- Applicants must be 17 years of age (must be 18 years of age to
- Must provide a valid California Driver's License.
- Must have a high school diploma, G.E.D. certificate, or equivalent.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the trade.
- Must be able to take required Exam, this takes place every 2 years.
Starting Hourly Wage
Currently either $23.80/hour or $28/hour depending on the work assignment. Journeyperson wage is $59.50/hour or $70/hour depending on the work assignment.
Length of Apprenticeship Program
Completion of the program takes 60-months.
Where are Courses Offered
Classroom training is offered at the U.A. Local 38 training center:
- 2660 Newhall Street, San Francisco, CA 94124
For More Information
Regarding the application, please visit www.ualocal38.org or contact the JATC apprenticeship department at (415) 562-3838