Veterans Educational Transition Services Office (V.E.T.S)

Support for Your Transition from Military Life to CCSF

The CCSF Veterans Educational Services (VETS) Office serves veteran CCSF students with the highest level of support and dedication in order to enhance the successful transition from military life into a chosen field or career through education.

Steps for VA Certification (Click this Drop Down Box to see steps)

Documents we'll need from you...

  • Your DD-214 or Separation Documents/Orders until you receive your DD-214
  • For students using their Post 9/11 GI Bill®, your Certificate of Eligibility, referred to as a "COE" (No COE for the VR&E Program)
  • For students using VR&E your VA VR&E Case Manager will provide a Purchase Order, known as a "PO" to our School Certifying Officials
    Apply for your GI Bill
    • If you have not yet applied for your Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) this can be done on the VA's website. 
    • Click on the blue GI Bill® Icon to the right and follow the instructions in the green drop-down box. After completing the VA will send your COE to your home address, this can take 30-days.
  • If you have any Transcripts from another college, your Joint Service Transcripts (JST)

Email all documents to

Steps for Certification as a NEW incoming student veteran

  1. Apply to City College of San Francisco (*Required for NEW and Returning Students who left CCSF for 1 academic year)

    • Apply online for admission to CCSF.  You will receive your student ID number within 24 hours.

    • Complete the steps to activate your CCSF student email. SAVE and remember the password to your student email. Check this email often because you will receive important information to this email, such as your Course Placement Report, V.E.T.S Office and Veterans Resource Center announcements, etc... 

    • Apply for Financial Aid (FASFA) if applicable. For more information, visit the Financial Aid office.

  2. Submit Official and Unofficial Transcripts (*Required for NEW and Returning Students who left CCSF for 1 academic year)

    • Official Transcripts:

      • Have Official transcripts mailed to you (DO NOT OPEN SEALED DOCUMENTS) and bring sealed documents to V.E.T.S Office in Cloud Hall, # 333. (Due to COVID-19 please hold off on bringing any documents to the CCSF campus or V.E.T.S Office)

      • Have your official transcripts sent to CCSF by your previous college(s) Go to the Domestic Transcript Evaluation page (listed under the Records dropdown Tab) 

      • Domestic Transcript Evaluation: If you have completed college courses at another school, you can request a transcript evaluation to determine if the classes will be accepted by CCSF. A domestic transcript evaluation is used to:

        • Determine how many transfer units CCSF will accept from your other institutions

        • Determine whether classes completed at CCSF and other institutions fulfill general education areas for an Associate in Art (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree. The transcript evaluation does not determine prerequisites, major and transfer requirements.

    • Unofficial Transcript:

      • Submit unofficial transcript to the V.E.T.S Office along with all documents needed for certification before meeting with a Veterans Academic Counselor.

      • Unofficial transcriptions will be needed for the assessment process in step #3.

  3. Get your Math & English Placement (Not an actual "test") (*Required for NEW students only)

    • Complete the Online Assessment Form here.

    • "Please have a copy of your unofficial high school transcripts, college transcripts, and/or test scores in preparation to fill out this form. If your high school transcript is not available, it is acceptable to use self-reported high school information.

      Your answers will be used to establish your English and Math eligibility. Please answer to the best of your ability". Required for Priority Registration

  4. New Student Veteran Online Orientation (*Required for NEW students only)

    • Set aside approximately 45 min to complete the New Student Veteran Online Orientation

      Intake Form QR Code

    • At the end you will receive a certificate of completion. Required for Priority Registration 

  5. Intake Form (step updated on August 3, 2021) (*Required for ALL student Vets, only 1 time) 

    • All CCSF Student Veterans need to complete the Intake Form once (1 time) 

  6. Meet with a Veterans Academic Counselor (*Required)

    • To meet with a counselor that specializes in VA Education benefits complete the Veterans Academic Counseling Request Form, if you need to: 

      Counseling Request Form QR Code

      • Update or change your education plan, major, academic goals, classes...)

    • The V.E.T.S Office has dedicated counselors to assist you in developing a Student Educational Plan (SEP). Counselors' availability is limited and subject to change. Please use the VHC to confirm dates and times. Required for Priority Registration.

  7. Register for Classes (*Required Each Semester)

    • After meeting with the academic counselor you will use the Student Education Plan (SEP) to register for your classes. Use your myRAM portal to register and access CANVAS.

    • Please don't forget to self-enroll into our Veterans Services Canvas to stay updated on announcements and upcoming events. FOLLOW THIS LINK TO ENROLL: Veterans Services Canvas

    • Only REGISTER for classes according to your most recent Education Plan!!!

    • Follow this link: Register for Classes

    • Watch our "How to Register for Classes at CCSF" 

  8. Submit Certification Request Form EACH SEMESTER you want to use benefits (*Required each semester)

    • Certification Request Form

    • Once your certification is sent to the VA for final processing, you will receive an email from VA Once, outlining your residence and distance hours (units)

    • If you ADD or DROP any classes after your are certified, the VA requires students to inform the School Certifying Officials you must complete the Change in Enrollment Form

Help & Benefits

Fall 2021 Priority Registration Date:

  • May 24, 2021

Veterans will receive Priority Registration once they have finished these three (3) steps: 

  1. Submit DD-214
  2. Completed the Assessment "self" placement (THIS IS NOT A PLACEMENT TEST) see step # 3 
  3. New Student Veteran Online Orientation see step # 4 
  4. Meet with a Veterans Academic Counselor (VAC) to develop Student Education Plan see step # 5  

Students (including Veterans) can lose their priority registration if:
(Excerpt from Title 5 § 58108. Registration and Enrollment Procedures.)

(1) is placed on academic or progress probation or any combination thereof as defined in section 55031 for two consecutive terms; or
(2) has earned one hundred (100) or more degree-applicable semester or quarter equivalent units at the district.

Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) (Remote services only at this time due to COVID-19)

To get started, email the DSPS Office via: to schedule an appointment. Please include your CCSF Student ID number and the best phone number to be reached at. 

Please complete the Application For DSPS Services Form and Student Disability Verification (SDV) Form before seeing a DSPS counselor. Documentation or verification of disability is required to be eligible for DSPS accommodations. NOTE: Accommodations are determined on a case by case basis (i.e. Extra test time on timed exams, alternate media, etc.) 

If you have a VA Service Connected Disability, please be prepared to have your Award letter ready to present to a DSPS counselor, which can support your request for accommodations until the SDV form is submitted. 

Learn more about the DSPS program

To find a DSPS Counselor who can assist veterans please contact:

Learn more about VA Education and VR&E Benefits here

The Montgomery GI Bill® can provide educational assistance for eligible veterans who have served on active duty for two or more years and have been honorably discharged from the service. (For a veteran who served as Reservists for six or more years see Chapter 1606). Please go to the VA web site for further details on specific eligibility criteria: ( All students who feel they might be eligible should submit an application on-line at The Department of Veteran Affairs will review your application and will generally notify you of their decision within 30 days.

Verifying Enrollment Each Month: After the student has been approved for benefits by the VA and certified for the semester by the CCSF Certifying Official he/she must verify continued enrollment with the federal VA office in Muskogee, Oklahoma. This must be done at the beginning of each following month before payments will be issued. For example, classes start in August you verify September 1, and so on, by either calling 1-877-823-2378 or by going to the VA web site at

Veterans Readiness & Employment  "VR&E" (formally Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) provides assistance for veterans who have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from the VA and who do not have a dishonorable discharge.

Learn more about eligibility and how to apply by clicking this LINK below:

Eligibility for Veteran Readiness and Employment

Apply for VR&E  either:

  1. via ebenefits (preferred),
  2.  via your County Veterans Service Office (VSO) by paper claim, or
  3. Veterans Regional Office 1301 Clay Street, Room 1300 North, Oakland, CA 94612, 1-800-827-1000 or (510) 637-6128

This GI Bill® Is for Veterans who served on active duty for a defined period of time after 09/10/01. Chapter 33 offers Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH, a book stipend per term/semester (not to exceed $1,000 per academic year) and pays for tuition and required college fees. For further information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill go to: or The VA web-site also provides continuous updates about new GI bill program(s).   


Apply on-line for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® at


Receiving Payments

When you notify the Veterans Services Office that you are registered for classes, the Veterans Services Coordinator will submit a certification to the VA.  The VA can take up to 4-6 weeks to process certifications and send out payments.

The percentage of benefit you are eligible for depends on time spent on active duty.  Note: Multiple deployments may increase your eligibility (Current as of Spring 2020). 

Full-time student = $4,614 per month (+ kicker if eligible)

Three-quarters time = 

More than Half-time = 

Half-time or less - $0 per month

There are three types of payments under Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.

  1. Tuition payment - paid to school
  2. Housing Allowance - paid to recipient
  3. Book stipend - paid to recipient

Each payment is paid out depending on the percentage of eligibility from the table above.


Educational assistance paid to dependents (spouse/children) of veterans who are permanently and 100% disabled due to a service connected condition or who died in the service of a service-connected disability. Please go to the following website for further details: or Apply on-line at

Chapter 35 dependent benefits must do monthly enrollment verification with the VA. The VA Administration will send out a monthly enrollment verification letter to the Chapter 35 beneficiary which must be filled out by the student and returned to the VA.

This program provides educational assistance for active members of the selected reserves, including members of the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. Basic eligibility requires a six-year obligation to serve in the selected reserves, and satisfactory participation in required selective reserve training. Participants must be signed up for a six year commitment.  To apply, follow the instructions provided at:


Verifying Enrollment Each Month: (For Chapters: 30,  1606) After the student has been approved by the VA and certified by CCSF's School Certifying Official (SCO) for the semester he/she must verify continued enrollment with the federal VA office in Muskogee, Oklahoma. This must be done at the beginning of each following month before payments will be issued.

For example: classes start in August you verify September 1, and so on, by either calling 1-877-823-2378 or by going to the VA web site at 

The “Cal-Vet fee waiver" offers a College Fee Waiver Program for eligible dependants whose veteran parent has at least 0% or greater service-connected disability. Contact the SF County Veteran Services Office (415-934-4200) or your local County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) (Find your local CVSO at: You can also contact your local Cal-Vet office at 415-554-7100 for information about the Cal Vet Fee Waiver.