The DSPS operates two Accessible Computer Laboratories: one on the Ocean Campus and one at the John Adams Center. Each Accessible Computer Lab instructs students with disabilities in the use of adaptive computer technology and software, and does outreach to all students on the campus who would benefit from using the Lab.
The primary purpose of the Accessible Computer Lab is to support educational access for students with disabilities by teaching computer adaptations and providing instruction in computer skills that can be transferred to other computer labs on campus. The ACL is not intended to be a clerical skills training program. It serves as training for disability-related computer needs.
Each ACL has Windows PC and Apple Macintosh computers, high-speed Internet access, scanners, and printers. Available adaptations include speech recognition software, text-to-speech software, screen reading software, screen magnification software, adapted keyboards, Braille output and other accommodations for students with physical and cognitive disabilities. All ability levels are accepted, from beginning to advanced. The ACL is open-entry, open-exit and non-credit.
The ACL assists students in:
- Learning how to use computer adaptations.
- Learning basic adaptive word processing and spreadsheets through self-paced tutorials.
- Completing class assignments using computer adaptations.
- Using the Internet and Email.
Accessible Computer Laboratories Locations/Hours/Contact Information
Please note that during the summer the Ocean and John Adams Accessible Computer Labs are open on a limited basis. During the summer please call 415-452-5481 for the schedule.
Ocean Campus ACL
50 Frida Kahlo Way
Batmale Hall, Room 231
San Francisco, CA 94112
- (415) 239-3616
- 415-452-5565 FAX
Ocean ACL Regular (Fall/Spring) Open Hours:
- Monday 9:10 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday 9:10 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 9:10 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. and 3:10 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday 9:10 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Friday 9:10 a.m. - 12:00 noon
For further information about the Ocean Accessible Computer Laboratory, contact the instructor at 415-239-3616.
John Adams Center ACL
1860 Hayes Street, Room 104
San Francisco, CA 94117
John Adams DSPS Reception Desk
John Adams ACL Regular (Fall/Spring) Open Hours:
- Monday 9:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m., 12:30 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.
- Tuesday 8:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m., 12:30 p.m. - 4:20 p.m.
- Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m., 12:30 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.
- Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m., 12:30 p.m. - 4:20 p.m.
- Friday 10:00 a.m. - 11:50 a.m.