Residency Frequently Asked Questions


  • Why am I flagged for residency?

One or more of indicators may have flagged you for residency:

  • Recently moved to CA and/or lived in CA for less than two years.
  • Attended college/university outside of CA within the last two years.
  • Voted outside of CA.
  • Filed taxes outside of CA.
  • Permanent address is outside of CA.
  • Recently changed immigration status.
  • Currently hold a visa or have an immigration status other than permanent residence or US citizen status.
  • Homeless youth or foster youth.
  • Under legal guardianship.
  • Petitioned for a divorce outside of CA.
  • Why am I flagged for residency if I only attended college outside of CA?

Students who attended college outside of CA within the last two years will be flagged for residency. CCCapply will flag these students to make sure that they have not established residence outside of CA before returning to CA. A student’s residency won’t change if he/she have not taken any steps to make residence elsewhere and always have the intent to return to CA after completion of program/degree.

  • Why am I flagged for residency if I only attended online college outside of CA?

CCCapply can’t determine if you attended online or in-person at college outside of CA. CCCapply will flag these students to verify their residency.

  • Can I lose my CA residence?

You can’t lose your CA residence until you have established residence elsewhere. You can only have one residence at a time.

  • Why did I get flagged for residency if I moved to CA for more than a year?

Physical presence alone in CA doesn’t make you a CA resident until you have taken steps to make CA your home. You must also couple with intent to make CA your home residence.

  • Why did I get denied for CA residence if I have both the intent and physical presence?

Students under 24 years old and unmarried are required to show proof of financial independence/dependence. Dependent students who are claimed by parent(s) or legal guardian(s) for tax exemption outside of CA are not eligible to establish CA residence. Their residence is derived from their parents/guardians.

Students who are 24 years old and older filed tax returns out of state as residents and didn’t file CA tax returns previous year won’t qualify for CA in-state tuition. As a CA resident, you are required to pay state taxes if income was earned in CA.

  • Can I establish CA residence without lawful immigration status?

Students can’t establish residence without lawful immigration status or filing for adjustment of status. Students without lawful immigration may qualify for the AB540 exemption. Please note, except T or U visa holders, non-immigrant aliens do not qualified for this exemption (i.e. F1/F2, B1/B2,J1/J2 visa holders).

  • Can the determination date be prorated?

Per our college policy, we do not prorate our determination date. Students can either qualify for this semester or wait until next qualifying semester to establish CA residence. You will be considered a non-resident for tuition purposes if you have lived in CA for less than a year before the semester start date except students who can qualify for non-resident tuition exemptions/exceptions. Click on link for more information about exemptions/exceptions.

  • Can I use my spouse’s residence to establish mine?

A student can’t derive residence from his/her spouse with the exception of active military member’s dependents (spouse, children). Please click here to contact our Veterans Office.

  • Can I establish CA residence with a working visa?

Certain working visa allows holders to establish CA residence. Please click here to find your visa on the eligible visa list.

  • Am I able to establish CA residence if I recently applied for a change of immigration status?

It all depends on the previous immigration status. If your previous immigration status does not allow you to establish residence, we can only use your current pending immigration status to establish residence. The one year and one day requirement will start on the receipt date of your pending status. Previous presence under other status will not be included due to its limitation.

  • Can I derive my CA residence from my parents who have legal status?

Students can derive CA residence from his/her parents only if this student is also here lawfully or currently in pending immigration status. Students who are here unlawfully or on expired visas need to apply for adjustment in immigration status before he/she can be considered.

  • I have been in CA for more than a year but only have documents to show intent and physical presence less than six months ago, do I still qualify for in-state tuition?

The one-year residence period does not begin until the student is both present in CA and has manifested clear intent to become a CA resident.

  • I was a CA resident but I moved away and established residence elsewhere, do I need to wait one year and one day to reestablish my CA residence?

Yes. Once you have established residence elsewhere, in order to reestablish your CA residence, you will need to wait one year and one day with proof of intent and physical presence. You may qualify for non-resident tuition exemptions/exceptions. Click here for the exemptions/exceptions.

  • Can I take classes with a J-1 visa?

Yes. However, J-1 visa holders will be charged non-resident tuition fees if taking credit courses.

  • Can B1/B2 visa holders take credit course?

No. B1/B2 visa holders are not allowed to take credit courses unless that visa is expired or until this student has different immigration status.

  • I am an F1 student who just applied for asylum, can I establish CA residency?

For tuition purpose, you cannot have two different status for residency. Asylee or pending asylee students can establish CA residence as long as they have fulfilled all the requirements mentioned above and are no longer in an F1 status. Please contact our International Department for more information.

  • Can I establish CA residence with an I-130 petition?

Approved I-130 alien relative petition beneficiary is not allowed to establish CA residence since it is not a visa or an immigration status. Students must apply for permanent residence or visas that would allow students to establish residence.









PHONE: 415.239.3287

FAX: 415.239.3936

MON-THU: 8:00AM - 5:00PM

FRI: 9:00AM - 4:00PM