The Credit ESL and Noncredit ESL placement tools are available for students who wish to determine an appropriate level in our programs. Students are advised to meet with a counselor to discuss the placement result and develop their educational plan.
Credit ESL Placement Tool
The Credit ESL Placement Tool is for students whose native language is not English and who completed most of their education in other languages.
The Credit ESL Placement Tool is conducted online and has three parts:
- In the Online ESL Guided Placement Tool, you will review five reading samples and five writing samples to determine which ESL level is best for you.
- After that, the Credit ESL placement level results will be available within 2-3 business days in your myCCSF Student Portal. To check your placement results, log in to myCCSF Student Portal. Click on Registration Date, Hold Information, Placement Results.
- Upon completion, your next step is to complete the online orientation and schedule an appointment with a counselor.
Our ESL Credit Placement Testing Coordinator, Nicki Trahan, can help you. Please contact her at email@example.com.
Noncredit ESL Placement Tool
Finding your Noncredit ESL level is simple. You need to have your CCSF Student ID number.
Not a CCSF student yet? Apply to be a Noncredit student first.
The Noncredit ESL Placement Tool is conducted online and has two parts:
- Watch the videos in the different ESL levels. Choose the best video for your level of English.
- Read the passages. Choose the best level for you.
You will see the placement result and a list of recommended courses. Fill out your student information to proceed with registering for classes.
If you need help, you may contact the Assessment Center at 415-239-3124 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In-person assessment services are by appointment only.