Take ESL Classes Throughout San Francisco
We offer credit and noncredit ESL classes at many of the CCSF centers throughout the city. You can choose to takes classes at the location most convenient for you!
Campus & Centers with ESL Classes
Click on the name of the location below to learn more about the ESL classes they offer.
Chinatown/North Beach Campus
John Adams Center
About the Downtown Center
Conveniently located, the Downtown Campus offers a full range of English as a Second Language courses, including computer training, clerical training, pronunciation, speaking, writing, and general ESL courses for non-native speakers. There is also a library with a computer lab.
CCSF Downtown Campus
88 Fourth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Christa Lewis, ESL Coordinator
ESL Courses at Downtown Campus include:
- General ESL classes, beginning through advanced, Monday through Thursday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, Friday 8:00 to 1:00, and Saturday 8:00 to 1:00
- Computer classes for ESL students
- Vocational Office Training Program, a 2-semester, 5-hour per day, non-credit (FREE) certificate program which readies students for office work. Many students find jobs immediately after completing this program!
- Speaking, pronunciation, and writing classes
- A healthcare communication class
In addition to ESL classes, the Downtown Campus offers:
- Noncredit business and computer classes and certificate programs
- Culinary Arts and Hospitality Studies
- Evening credit and certificate courses in a variety of areas, including foreign languages, fashion, business, and real estate
For more information please visit our Admissions and Enrollment Office on the first floor of 88 Fourth Street at the corner of Mission. The office is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 to 4:15, and Saturday, from 8:30 to 12:30. Hours are subject to change.
About the Chinatown/North Beach Center
You can study a variety of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes at Chinatown/North Beach Campus.
CCSF Chinatown/North Beach Center
808 Kearny Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
415395-8601 (A&E office)
Jeanne Kearseley, ESL Coordinator
English for Living and Working in the U.S.
Beginning Level Classes:
- General ESL: listening/speaking/ reading/ writing and pronunciation
- Vocational ESL: English for the Workplace, Customer Service, Food Service, Housekeeping, English for Childcare, Introduction to Computers
Intermediate Level Classes:
- General ESL: listening/speaking/reading/writing and pronunciation
- Vocational ESL: English for the Workplace, Introduction to Computers, Social Communication
Times of classes:
Monday-Thursday: morning afternoon and evening
Friday: morning, afternoon
Sunday: morning, early afternoon
Go to the Admissions and Enrollment Office at 808 Kearny Street. 415 395-8601.
About the Civic Center
Civic Center Campus is located at 1170 Market Street, at Market and Hyde, next to UN Plaza. We offer free, noncredit ESL classes at all levels, from beginning to high intermediate.
CCSF Civic Center Campus
1170 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Ingrid Farnbach, ESL Coordinator
About Our Classes
We have a variety of classes in the morning, afternoon and evening at the following times:
- 8:15 a.m.
- 10:15 a.m.
- 12:30 p.m.
- 2:50 p.m.
- 6:30 p.m. (ending at 8:35 p.m.)
We also offer a literacy class 10:15 a.m. for students who cannot read or write in English, and a Citizenship class at 12:30.
Civic Center Campus is a small, friendly campus with students from many different countries. We welcome everyone. If you’d like to study with us, call the Admissions and Enrollment Office at 415-561-1020, or come to 1170 Market Street, Room 100 to register. You can start at any time!
About the John Adams Center
Start studying English today! The John Adams center offers morning, afternoon, and evening classes Monday to Thursday and Morning Classes on Friday. Our classes are from literacy/beginning to high intermediate.
CCSF John Adams Center
1860 Hayes Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
Anna-Lisa Helmy, ESL Coordinator
ESL Courses at John Adams Center include:
- General English as a Second Language (ESL) classes (includes Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing, Grammar, Vocabulary, Pronunciation
8:15 a.m. to 8:35 o.m. Monday to Thursday; 8:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday
- Computer / Language Lab for ESL students
- ESL for Healthcare Careers
- Speaking classes
- Introduction to Academic/Credit ESL
How to Sign Up
- Come to 1860 Hayes Street (at Masonic Avenue) Room 143 for information and/or a test appointment.
- You can make an appointment for a test in the office or by phone
- Tests are given on Mondays at 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM.
- Call 415-561-1835 for more information about tests or to make a test appointment.
About the Ocean Campus
Ocean Campus is the main location for college credit ESL classes at City College, with approximately 220 sections of courses offered each semester, taught by about 80 instructors with about 4,000 students enrolled. Classes are offered from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on Saturdays.
50 Frida Kahlo Way
San Francisco, CA 94112
Batmale Hall, Room 516
Nicki Anne Trahan, ESL Coordinator
Batmale Hall, Room 516, Box L301
Phone number: 415-239-3427
Fax number: 415-239-3668
Besides the full range of academic writing and reading course levels, popular elective courses include ESL 49 (intensive pronunciation); ESL 66 (advanced academic listening and reading); ESL 69 (accent improvement - a nine-week course for advanced students to reduce their accent); ESL 75 (intermediate editing and grammar review); ESL 85 (advanced editing and grammar review); ESL 79 (advanced speaking/pronunciation - public speaking and communication skills).
Free tuition is available for City College students who have established California residency and live in San Francisco. Students apply for Free City by completing the one-page Free City Application which is included as a screen within the online registration process. After registering, we encourage you to complete either a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act Application. FreeCity is now offered all year around.
After getting certificates and college degrees from City College, many Credit ESL students continue with their studies by transferring to universities such as San Francisco State and UC Berkeley.
The Ocean Campus offers many kinds of support for students taking credit classes: complete counseling services, university-size library and Learning Assistance Center, Student Health Center, Scholarship and Financial Aid offices, Transfer Center, and Career/Placement Center. Foreign students have their own counselors. Of course, students can also choose from hundreds of courses and sections in other subjects at the Ocean Campus while taking ESL classes.
About the Mission Center
The Mission Center is one of the seven principal locations of City College of San Francisco. Students may enroll directly at the CCSF Mission Campus, and students enrolled at any other CCSF campus may take classes at the Mission Campus.
CCSF Mission Center
1125 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
Ingrid Farnbach, ESL Coordinator
ESL Courses at Mission Center
We offer the following:
- A full English as a Second Language (ESL) Program, including noncredit and credit classes.
- ESL Literacy day, evening and Saturday classes. The literacy classes are primarily designed for students who have had limited (up to the 5th grade), or no formal education or for students who have limited ability to write in their native language. Literacy classes are available in English or in Spanish.
- An ESL computer class with ESL language programs.
- A comprehensive Transitional Studies Program with classes, tutorial facilities and a drop-in learning center leading to the GED diploma. This is the only place in Northern California where GED classes are offered in Spanish.