City College has established prerequisites and corequisites to ensure that students have the skill level necessary to succeed in a course. Before your online registration date, please check to see if your class has a prerequisite.
Prerequisites must be cleared prior to enrollment. Plan ahead and take care of this as early as possible to avoid delays to your enrollment in important classes.
You are automatically cleared if:
- You are currently enrolled in the appropriate prerequisite course at CCSF
- You have completed the appropriate prerequisite course at CCSF or have placed into the course with a CCSF assessment or placement test
If you completed the prerequisite course at another college/university, you can challenge the prerequisite by following the below instructions.
If your prerequisite is English or Math:
- Submit the Online Assessment Form.
- Attach transcripts showing the completion of English coursework with a "C" or higher and/or Math coursework with a "C-" or higher (the previous college must consider "C-" a passing grade). If you are using a test score to complete the assessment, please attach a copy of your test scores.
To meet a prerequisite for a higher-level course:
- Complete the Online Prerequisite Challenge Form
- Attach a copy of your transcript showing the related course completed at another college with a "C" or higher grade.
- When filling Q4 (inside the challenge form), please fill out the following information with the Subject Course Name, Course Number, and CRN#. For example: MATH 110A, CRN# 80888
Most prerequisite challenge requests will be processed within 5 business days. Your approved prerequisite challenges can be viewed on your myCCSF student portal and will be sent to your CCSF email account. There are some challenge requests may need to be forwarded to the Department for approval and may take longer to process.
Please note that you may be dropped from the course if you do not complete the Prerequisite Challenge process