Credit ESL Placement Tool
You will get automatic placement into transfer-level English. English Language Learners have the right to choose the English as a Second Language (ESL) credit pathway. If your first language is not English, you may benefit from CCSF's credit ESL classes. Our four core classes (ESL 182, ESL 184, ESL 186, ESL 188) provide language skills and cultural knowledge to be successful in college and society.
All new students to City College of San Francisco are required to participate in the New Student Orientation. The orientation introduces you to the essential programs, services and information to better prepare you before your first semester.
ESL classes are recommended for students for:
- whose primary language is not English and who would like to improve their academic English as a Second Language (ESL) skills
- who usually speak, listen, read, and write in a language other than English at home and/or at work
- whose education was not in English or mostly not in English
- who prefer more English as a Second Language (ESL) to prepare for college-level classes
We recommend that you take the CCSF Credit ESL Guided Placement Tool to learn about which Credit ESL level matches your needs.
- You will be given five reading samples and five writing samples to review.
- The Credit ESL placement level results will be available within 2-3 business days in myCCSF student portal; click on Registration Date, Hold Information, Placement.
- Upon completion, your next step is to complete the online orientation and schedule an appointment with a counselor.
Disclaimer: Students are allowed to submit the credit ESL placement tool two times a semester.
Do you need help with the Non-Credit ESL Level Placement Assessment?
Before arriving at the proctoring lab,
- Apply to CCSF, the examiner will greet you and check your valid ID along with your CCSF ID Number.
Our Support Labs are open at the following locations:
CLOSED on 9/12
|Mission Center||105||Mon, Tues, Wed & Thurs.||8am-12pm & 1pm-4pm||On Monday, no afternoon Lab Support.|
|Ocean Campus||MUB 149A||Mon, Tues, Wed & Thurs.||8am-4:30pm|