State Grants are free funds, also known as "gift aid", that do not have to be repaid. State Grants are need-based, so eligibility is determined from information provided on the FAFSA, CA Dream Act, or a fee waiver application (CCPG only).

CA College Promise Grant (CCPG)

The CCPG offers four different methods for students to qualify:

  1. CCPG-A: A student (or parent for dependent applicants) is a current recipient of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or General Assistance/General Relief (GA/GR)
  2. CCPG-B: A student (or parent for dependent applicants) has a household size and annual family income that do not exceed the state-designed income standards
  3. CCPG-C: A student has submitted a financial aid application and has demonstrated a financial need of $1,104 or more
  4. CCPG-S: A student has a special classification

A student's eligibility for CCPG-A, CCPG-B, and CCPG-S is determined by the California College Promise Grant Application. A student's eligibility for CCPG-C is determined by either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act. It is recommended that you use CCPG-C method to qualify for additional financial aid.

You can apply for the CCPG at any point during the academic year, and once you apply, your eligibility will be valid for the entire academic year. However, you must reapply each academic year to be eligible.

Once you are qualified for the CCPG, you must make sure to meet the following academic standards to remain eligible:

  • Academic: Maintain a cumulative  2.0 GPA or higher
  • Progress: Complete more than 50% of your attempted units

Failure to meet these academic standards for 2 consecutive primary terms may lead to a loss in CCPG eligibility. 

If you lose CCPG eligibility, you can regain eligibility by meeting academic standards, not attending CCSF for two consecutive primary terms, or submitting an extenuating circumstances appeal.

To move forward with an extenuating circumstances appeal, you must do the following:

  1. Submit a Loss of Registration/CCPG Appeal Form online
  2. Type a statement explaining your situation
  3. Obtain an education plan with an academic counselor
  4. Provide supporting documentation

The 2020-21 deadlines for the CCPG Appeal are:

  • Fall 2022: September 30, 2022
  • Spring 2023: February 24, 2023

Please view the Registration Office's Loss of CCPG Appeal Website for more information.

Cal Grant

A student must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a Cal Grant:

  • Complete a FAFSA or CA Dream Act and GPA Verification by March 2nd Priority deadline (Or by September 2nd if funds are remaining)

  • Meet financial need as determined by FAFSA or CA Dream Act

  • Be a California resident or AB 540/AB 2000/SB 68 eligible student 

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units, half-time, per semester 

  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

  • Have your GPA Verification sent to CSAC

City College of San Francisco will electronically submit the GPA Verification for students who meet the following criteria:

  • Attended CCSF within the past two academic years

  • Completed 24 or more degree applicable/transferable credits at CCSF

At a CCC (CA Community College level), students are eligible to receive the following types of Cal Grant:

  • Cal Grant A – $0:  The Cal Grant A does not cover your tuition and fees while attending a community college, however your award eligibility will be held in reserve for up to two years until you transfer to a four-year college - unless the student qualifies for the Student with Dependent Children Access Award or Foster Youth Access Award.
  • Cal Grant B – $1,648: You can use your $1,648 access award as a living allowance to help pay for books and other community college costs.
  • Cal Grant C – $1,094: A student must be enrolled in an occupational or technical program to qualify for the Cal Grant C. (e.g. automotive technician, court reporter, etc).  The amount offered can be used for books, tools, equipment, and other community college costs. 

For more information on CAL Grant awards, click here

The Cal Grant B Entitlement Award has a lifetime limit of 4 academic years, or 8 semesters. Due to this limit, California Community College students are advised to use no more than two academic years, or 4 semester, of the Cal Grant at the community college.

Students who are at or past the 2 year recommended limit at the community college level are able to put the Cal Grant award on hold for up to 4 semesters in order to maintain 2 years of Cal Grant eligibility at a 4-year college or university.

Additionally, in order to graduate with an undergraduate degree within 4 years, CSAC recommends that Cal Grant recipients take 15 semester units, or 30 semester units per academic year. Doing so will allow students to not exceed the Cal Grant lifetime eligibility before graduation.

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

A student must meet the following criteria to be eligible for SSCG:

  • Receiving a Cal Grant B or Cal Grant C award
  • Meet financial need as determined by FAFSA or CA Dream Act
  • Be a California resident or AB 540/AB 2000/SB 68 eligible student
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units, full-time, per semester
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

The amount of full-time units a student is enrolled in will determine the CCPG award amount:

  • 12-14.99 Units: Eligible for $1,298 per academic year or $649 per semester
  • 15+ Units: Eligible for $4,000 per academic year or $2,000 per semester

If funds are available after Fall and Spring terms are paid, the Financial Aid Office may award additional eligible students in the Summer semester. 

Chafee Grant

A student must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a Chafee Grant:

  • Meet financial need as determined by the FAFSA or CA Dream Act

  • Complete a Chafee Grant Application

  • Be a current or former foster youth who was a ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18

  • Have not reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units, half-time, per semester
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

In order to be eligible for the Chafee Grant, you must complete the following:

  1. Submit a FAFSA or CA Dream Act
  2. Complete a California Chafee Grant Application
  3. Only if requested by CSAC, verify your foster care placement.