Take College-level Courses to Receive High School Credit & College Credit Simultaneously

Are you a high school or homeschooled student interested in academic classes being offered at City College San Francisco?  

Whether your goal is to start out on a path for a successful career, get an early start on higher education, or earn high school and college credits simultaneously, CCSF has a wide variety of on-campus and off-campus programs, services, and activities to help you reach your educational goals. Under the concurrent enrollment program, classes are free for high school students (except for international students, including F1, B1/B2, J1 VISA holders).

Transitional Studies students, who are pursuing a high school diploma or a high school equivalency certificate under SB 554. Students must be enrolled in the CCSF High School Diploma Program

Home School students must submit a High School transcript and a copy of a current Private School Affidavit to hsenroll@ccsf.edu.

Please note: if you are interested in taking a course that has a prerequisite (e.g. Math or English), you must also clear the prerequisite before you will be able to register for the course. For example, if you wish to take a math class, you must show proof of passing the prerequisite math course before you can register. For more information, please review the Prerequisite Challenge Process.

Steps to Apply

Additional Information

Did you attend CCSF in the past two semesters, and want to enroll as a Continuously Concurrently Enrolled High School Student for Spring 2024 or Summer 2024? You only need to complete and submit the High School Concurrent Enrollment Permission/Consent Form.

Registering for Classes

Please choose course(s) thoughtfully with your High School Counselor or Principal/Designee and Parent/Guardian as grades are permanent on your college record. Please check the online in the CCSF Class Schedule.

High School students can register for Course(s) online via myRAM Portal on their assigned registration date (see below). The Summer Semester begins June 3, 2024.

Registration dates:

Summer Semester 2024: April 21,2024

Fall Semester 2024: May 15,2024

For former high school concurrent students, who will become first college students (freshmen) at CCSF, they must reapply as a first-time college student through our CCCApply application for reclassification. Please visit the steps to reapply

Students will have the same CCSF student ID number and CCSF email that was given to them while they were concurrently enrolled. If students do not reapply, they will not be reclassified, which will prevent them from registering for classes, applying for FAFSA, Free city, EOPS, and other programs. 

Additionally, from reapplying, students must complete all necessary steps to successfully be admitted as a first time college student.

Dreamers, Undocumented, & Asylum seeking students are welcome and eligible to participate in our Concurrent enrollment program for college credit and high school credit courses. 
Enrollment fees are waived for undocumented (non-residents of CA) students under Senate Bill 2364, allowing students to take college courses for free (which does not include course materials). 
To be considered and to participate in the concurrent enrollment program, students must complete the following:

  • online credit application
  • concurrent enrollment consent form
  • turn in their high school transcript  

For more information on college resources for Dreamers, Undocumented, & Asylum seeker students, please visit our City DREAM Center website.

For international high school students (not undocumented students) who are here on a VISA and who are interested in participating in the CCSF high school concurrent enrollment program, the following steps must be completed to be considered:

  • International Students must pay full tuition.
  • Students must have their high school write a letter indicating their visa status & Academic standing.
  • We must be informed about the Student’s Visa expiration date & their Visa type.
  • Students must provide their high school transcript. 
  • Students complete their CCSF application with the Admissions & Records department and not the International office.
  • Students must complete the high school consent form.
  • Under Education Code 48800, The governing board of a school district (a.k.a CCSF) may authorize High School pupils, upon recommendation of the principal of the pupil’s school of attendance, and with parental consent, to attend a community college during any session or term as special part-time or full-time students and to undertake one or more courses of instruction offered at the community college level.
  • Under Education code 49061, The records of a student who is over the age of 18yrs OR enrolls/attends a community college (regardless of age) are deemed confidential. This means that under CA education law, college employees are not able to release educational records to parents/guardians unless the student completes and submits signed FERPA Release Consent Form to CCSF, Admissions and Records Office. 
  • Under Education code 76001.d, If approved by college officials, High School Students can enroll in up to 11.99 college units. (Please note, students enrolled in more than 11.99 units in one semester are responsible for paying the entire cost of tuition/enrollment fees for that term.)
  • Under Education code 76001.e, CCSF (the governing board) shall assign a low enrollment priority to special part-time or full-time students described in order to ensure that these students do not displace regularly admitted students.
  • High school and home-schooled students are authorized to select a maximum of 11 units for Fall and Spring semesters and a maximum of 8 units for Summer semesters.
  • High school students are exempt from paying the California Community College Enrollment Fee of $46 per unit. High school students are also exempt from paying the student health fee, student activities fee and student representation fee.
  • Submit High School Permission/Consent form
  • Once the Permission/Consent Form is received and approved the student can then register via myRAM for the courses listed on the Permission/Consent Form.
  • High School students are not allowed to enroll in Physical Education/Dance courses.
  •  Participation in Orientation and Counseling is strongly encouraged.
  • High School students are required to meet all prerequisites for a course before registration.
  • Assessment will be required for any English or Math courses before registering for the class. Information can be found on the Assessment Center website
  • CCSF cannot guarantee enrollment, therefore, please indicate a first, second, third or fourth choice for course selection on the High School Dual/Concurrent Enrollment Permission/Consent Form.

Student Records

  • Grades earned become permanent on college records and are reflected on the college transcript. They cannot be removed and will be used to calculate cumulative CCSF Grade Point Average (GPA).
  • Parents and guardians should not contact the instructors for information on a student’s progress.
  • The college record for any student falls under the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), even when that student is under the age of 18 and attending college through a high school program. Only the student or a person with a written and signed release may access the student’s record. This includes registration information, schedules, grades, units, etc. To assign access to your records to a third party (high school representative, parent or guardian), please complete a FERPA Release Form and submit it to hsenroll@ccsf.edu.

Student Responsibilities

  • Students are responsible for being aware of add and drop deadlines, and are responsible for dropping classes on time; please refer to the online schedule at www.ccsf.edu/Schedule, under Important Dates for drop deadlines.
  • Students are responsible for activating and checking their CCSF email. All CCSF correspondence will be sent to this email. Activate your CCSF email by logging-in to your myRAM account under Student Portal, My Profile, and click on CCSF email/password reset.
  • The community college is an adult learning environment and reflects a diverse community of learners. Discussion topics and course materials are designed for adult students and may not be appropriate for younger students. Course content will not be changed to accommodate minors. Students are required to act as responsible and ethical members of the campus community; please refer to the Student Code of Conduct to find out relevant information.
  • Students are responsible for books and materials. Students are expected to be aware of assignment deadlines, course materials and other information provided by the instructor.
  • Parking on all campuses requires a parking permit (daily/semester). Street parking may be available. Several Muni/BART lines are open to all the campuses as well.
  • CCSF Student ID cards can be obtained at MUB room 130 on Ocean Campus or any Center Location after you have successfully registered for at least one class for the current semester.

Q1. What is the Concurrent High School Enrollment Program?

Students currently attending high school, who meet the CCSF requirements, may sign up for City College courses and attend both institutions within the same semester.

Q2. What are the requirements to participate in the Concurrent Enrollment High School Program?   

You must be a high school student.

Q3. Can I enroll in more than one class?

Concurrently enrolled high school students are permitted to enroll in a maximum of up to eleven (11) units for Fall and Spring semesters or eight (8) units for the Summer semester.

Q4. Will I get high school credit for the classes I take at City College?

When enrolled at City College and registered for classes, you will receive college credit which can go towards a degree/certificate. Your high school will determine whether to give you high school credit for taking a college credit course. City College does not make any decisions for high schools. Please check with your high school counselor.

Q5. Does City College have any programs that offer high school credit?

It is the determination of the high school the student is attending if high school credit will be given and the amount of credit as well to a student taking Concurrent/Dual Enrollment courses.  

If you want high school credit only, you can enroll in the high school program within the Transitional Studies Department.

We recommend that potential high school students interested in Transitional Studies begin with counseling  services at these locations:

  • John Adams Campus - 1860 Hayes St., 415-561-1013
  • Mission Campus - 1125 Valencia St., 415-920-6043
  • Southeast Campus - 1800 Oakdale St., 415-550-4372

Q6. How much does it cost to enroll in the Concurrent High School Enrollment Program?

Enrollment is free for California residents. Additionally, enrollment fees are waived for non-residents of CA under Senate Bill 2364 except for non-immigrant (this includes F1, B1/B2, J1). High school students who are not eligible for the Senate Bill 2364 waiver are required to pay out-of-state tuition fees. B1/B2 high school visa students are not allowed to take credit courses at City College due to visa limitations. Students are responsible for books, supplies, etc.  

For out-of-state tuition, please visit Tuition and Fees.

Q7. What is the process for enrolling in the Concurrent High School Enrollment Program?

To enroll in concurrent enrollment, follow these steps to become a CCSF Student.

Q8.  What is the procedure for Concurrently Enrolled High School Students, who are interested in attending more than one semester?

For each subsequent semester of enrollment, Continuously concurrently enrolled students must submit a new High School Concurrent Enrollment Permission/Consent Form to the Office of Admissions & Records, MUB 188 by the published deadline date.

Q9. Can I add a class?

You can add a class during the add/drop period only if you have completed the enrollment steps (see Question #7). All adds are at the discretion of the instructor and can only be processed if your principal/designee has recommended the same course. If you are accepted into a course that is not on your Consent Form, you must obtain and complete a new form.

Q10.   I tried to apply or register online, and it would not allow me.  What is the problem?

If you are a current student and have submitted your Consent/Permission Form to the High School Enrollment Coordinator, you should be able to add classes via myRAM Portal.

If you are getting an error message saying that you "need approval to take this course" please ensure you have submitted all documentation to the High School Enrollment Coordinator in Admissions & Records to give you access to register for classes.

Concurrent/Dual High School students can register for approved classes via myRAM Portal.  Please see the Add/Drop Procedure page for information on registering.

If you are having difficulty applying online through OpenCCC Apply, please call 1-877-247-4836 for assistance.

Q11.   Are Concurrently Enrolled High School Students allowed to take physical education (PE) classes?

No, City College of San Francisco does not permit Concurrently Enrolled High School Students to enroll in physical education courses. (Title 5 Regulation, Section 55002)

Q12. I am graduating from high school and am a concurrently enrolled student at CCSF, do I need to reapply?

Yes, you will need to apply. If you are no longer a concurrently enrolled high school student or have graduated from high school, you must apply for Admission as a regular college student (Make sure you apply as a first-time college student). Please visit the steps to become a CCSF credit student for further information.

Q13. Do concurrent enroll high school students receive priority registration?

Per Education Code; (Title 3.Div 7.part 47.ch1.art1.76001.e) the governing board of a community college district shall assign a low enrollment priority to special part-time (i.e. High School Student) described in subdivision (a) in order to ensure that these students do not displace regularly admitted students.

Q14. Can Undocumented High School Students Participate in Concurrent Enrollment?

Yes, under CA law AB 2364, undocumented and DACA high school students can participate in concurrent enrollment and can apply to have the non-resident tuition fee waived. 

Q15. Can High School Students Take Transfer-Level English and Math classes?

Yes, but you must meet the prerequisite. Please follow these steps below.

  • Complete the  Online Prerequisite Challenge Form
  • Attach a copy of your transcript showing the related course completed at another college or high school with a "C" or higher grade.

For more information, please email prereq@ccsf.edu.

Q16. I have additional questions?

 e-mail: hsenroll@ccsf.edu