Veterans Services Office Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. Spring 2021 Updated F.A.Qs can be found at the link below:



Apply on-line at, or Please download a copy of your completed application and bring it to Cloud 333 along with your DD214 to start a file at the CCSF Veterans Education Transitional Services (VETS) Office.

Transcripts: All recipients who have completed courses at other post-secondary institutions MUST submit official transcripts from those schools. All Air Force veterans will need to also bring in an official copy of their transcript from the Community College of the Air Force.

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®: Application form 1990 and a copy of your DD 214 (member 4 copy) that indicates an honorable discharge and a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (or copy of completed application until your COE arrives).
  • Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill®: Students are required to bring in a Member 4 copy of their DD 214, indicating an honorable discharge and their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) (or copy of completed application until the COE arrives).
  • Chapter 35 for Dependents of Disabled or Deceased Veteran: Spouses need to submit a copy of their marriage certificate. Dependant children need to provide a copy of their birth certificate if completing an application in our office and a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility with the full VA File Number as issued to the student from DVA.
  • Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve: Students are required to bring in a “Notice of Basic Eligibility” (NOBE) that can be obtained from their Reserve or National Guard unit. They must be signed up for a six year commitment and a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Chapter 1607 (REAP): National Guard members and Reservists who have served on active duty for 90 days or more in a contingency operation after September 11, 2001, need to bring in a copy of the DD 214(member 4 copy) and the “Notice of Basic Eligibility” (NOBE). These military reservists will be informed by the Department of Veteran Affairs what their benefit package will be. They will be eligible for this benefit as long as they continue to be in the Active Reserves.

*Please note that GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about educational benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Once an application for educational benefits is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs Processing Center it usually takes four to six weeks before the certificate of eligibility is sent to the student. The certificate of eligibility needs to be brought into the CCSF VA office as soon as it is received by the student.

No! Before a student can receive payment for the educational benefit, they must meet with the CCSF Veterans Counselor and establish an educational plan based on their educational goal (such as transfer to a university, associate degree or certificate program). Only courses required for these programs are certifiable for VA educational benefits. This process will be explained in detail during your counseling meeting.

After all of the admissions and application steps have been completed as mentioned above and you have requested certification, the VA can take up to six to eight weeks to process a payment. (Depending on the time of year, processing time may vary).