Questions About World Languages & Cultures

Review our FAQs to get answers to some of the most common questions about our classes. 

If you have more questions, please call the World Languages Department Office at 415-239-3223 or drop by. We are located in the Creative Arts Building, Room 202.

Frequently Asked Questions

There are no prerequisites for any beginning World Language class. Just sign up for the course you wish to take. If you've never studied a language before, it is best to start with the first class in the series (1, 1A, or 10A). Some classes have "advisories". Please see the catalog for details about the course you wish to take.

For core courses beyond the entry-level, there may be prerequisites. When you determine the prerequisite, then see the instructions on how to clear that prerequisite if you have not taken the prerequisite course at CCSF. 

If you have satisfied prerequisites for core courses at another college or in other ways outside of CCSF, you must "clear" the prerequisite. There are two ways; provide a transcript from another college or take a placement test. There are no required placement tests for entry-level or conversation courses in the World Languages and Cultures Department. Please see the Placement page for more information.

We have two tracks in most languages. The traditional 4-skills track (1, 1A, 1B, 2, 2A, 2B, etc.) emphasizes equally reading, writing, listening comprehension, and speaking. Our conversation track (10A, 10B, etc. and in Chinese 10A, 12A, 14A, etc) emphasizes speaking and comprehension.  Another important fact is that the traditional track transfers to UC and CSU. The conversation track transfers to CSU only.

If your class is canceled your money will be refunded to your "account". This is convenient if you plan on enrolling in another class right away. If you want your money back, you must fill out a refund form and submit it to Admissions and Records. (There is NO charge to you.)

Yes! We welcome high school students from SFUSD and other districts in the region. There are a few additional things high school students must do. Find out more here on the High School Students page.

At CCSF, we believe in the importance of using the language lab. Listening, extra practice drills, audio, video, these are all things that are essential to help you learn a new language.

However, there is no department-wide requirement to use the language lab. Your instructor may ask you to visit the computers at the Collaboratory to practice listening and other skills. Your instructor may ask you to use our online tool, Canvas, to complete various assignments for your class.

The Collaboratory is housed in the Media Center at Rosenberg Library, in room 403. 

The STAR Center, R207, on the second floor of the Library has peer tutors for many classes at CCSF, including World Languages. Consult the STAR Center schedule for times for each language. Most of the tutors are native speakers from countries where the language you are studying is spoken. It is fun, you can make new friends, and get better grades!

For more info call: 415-452-5502

You may "Petition to Repeat" (contact Admissions and Records), but most people are denied that option due to new state regulations. But, if you have already taken the course or you want to audit a language class, you MAY co-enroll through City Extension Co-Enrollment. 


For these and all other questions about which courses you need for transfer to any 4-year school, you should see a counselor. Remember, see your counselor early and often! World Languages and Cultures department courses transfer to CSU and most transfers to UC. See the catalog and ask your counselor about individual courses. Our courses also satisfy other areas for graduation and transfer.

After taking the appropriate number of courses/units (see each language program page for details), fill out the Certificate Petition. You can get one from Admissions and Records (MUB-188) or in the World Languages Dept office in A-202. Follow the instructions on the petition.

You are not alone! Many students take classes in our department because, at CCSF, they have found quality instruction at a great price!

First, you must apply to the college. Every California resident 18 or over is accepted. Then, enroll for the class, according to the instructions you receive after acceptance to the college. If you are only taking a language class, you may opt out of requirements followed by regular students (English and Math placement testing; meeting with a counselor) by checking the appropriate boxes on the CCC application form.