English as a Second Language

golden gate bridge

Welcome to the English as a second Language Department at City College of San Francisco. ESL is the largest department at CCSF with over 700 course offerings and more than 300 faculty members. The department includes both credit and noncredit programs. The Credit ESL program requires a fee and is designed for students with academic goals who wish to complete a two-year degree or vocational certificate at City College or to transfer to a four-year college or university. The Noncredit ESL program is free of charge and is designed to help immigrant students develop their general ability to understand, speak, read and write English. Separate from the ESL Department is the ISP - International Student Programs. The ISP requires tuition and offers an intensive academic English program for international students who want to prepare for college or university classes and obtain an F-1 student visa.


If you have general questions about the ESL Department program at CCSF, contact the Department Chair, Greg Keech, at 415-239-3003 (email: gkeech@ccsf.edu). If you have questions about the ESL program at a specific campus, contact the ESL coordinator at that campus: