An Interdisciplinary Approach to Studying the Experiences of African and African-Descended People
The African American Studies department offer courses in a number of areas. These courses enable students to learn and comprehend the history, culture, and traditions of African and/or African-descent people. It provides students with the curricula necessary to complete the instructional requirements of other departments.
We are committed to providing courses that teach students the skills and proficiencies necessary for successful matriculation and for a successful life. This department is grounded and rooted in the historical, cultural, and intellectual traditions of the African American people. Its existence is established on the premise that the African/African American experience, in time and space, is a legitimate subject of intellectual inquiry and academic endeavor.
- Cornell University - Africana Library
- Louisiana State University - African & African American Studies
- Southern University - Black Heritage Collection
- Temple University - African American Studies department
- Stanford University - MLK, Jr. Research & Education Institute
- University of Buffalo - Mathematics of the African Diaspora
- University of Georgia - Institute of African American Studies
- Black Biomedical Research Movement
- Freemen's Bureau Online - Black History Pages
- HBCU Transfer Agreements - California community college students are guaranteed transfer to these UC/CSU with requirements
- National Park Service - The Underground Railroad
- PBS - The African American World
- San Francisco Public Library - African American Center