Complete Your English Requirements

Whether you plan to earn a degree and/or transfer you will need to satisfy the English requirements.

All CCSF students will be placed into one of two versions of transfer-level English, either English 1A without support or English 1A with support. Students who are placed into 1A without support will take English 1A alone. Students who are placed into 1A with support will take English 1A plus a linked section of English 1AS.

Placement & Required English Classes

The English Advisor is here to help you determine which course you should take.

Students New to College

If you are a new CCSF student and you do not have a placement, you should go to the Assessment Center.

Students with Previous College Coursework

If you are a transfer student from a community college, UC, or state university, who has taken freshman-level English already, please take your transcript to the Assessment Center.

If you need courses evaluated from an out-of-state or private college, you will need to bring to the Assessment Center a copy of your official transcript (online transcripts not accepted), a course description from the college catalog, and syllabi (if possible).

If you believe your English placement is not accurate, you may speak to the English Advisor.

New students with a high school GPA

Your high school GPA will determine your eligibility for one of two versions of English 1A.

  • 1A without support
  • 1A with support (1A+1AS)

New students without a high school GPA

Your eligibility will be determined in consultation with the Assessment Center.

Questions About Your Eligibility

If you have questions about your eligibility, or you wish to challenge your initial eligibility, please contact the English Advisor.

After passing 1A, you may take one of the following second-semester English classes:

  • English 1B (Writing about Literature)
  • English 1C (Writing about Nonfiction)