Social Justice Statement
In the wake of the May 25, 2020 murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, our nation has turned a critical gaze on itself. Since 1935, the Social Sciences Department has been providing students with the tools needed to learn about American society and to understand its amazing achievements and horrific failures. At the core of our educational mission is a commitment to justice, fairness, and equality. City College has been an institution that has been at the forefront of the fight against racism and bigotry through the power of education, helping millions of its students of all races, ethnicities, abilities, religions, genders, and economic circumstances change their lives. As a department, we are committed to ensuring that every student feels like they belong. Every student is valued. Every student is respected.
- We are committed to creating a welcoming space that supports students as a whole and as individuals to achieve their goals and live a full, thriving experience.
- We support those inclusive goals of the Black Lives Matters movement, in “moving beyond narrow nationalism.”
- We affirm the lives of historically marginalized communities such as racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, LGBTQ, women, religious minorities, the working class, and poor.
- We acknowledge the critical centrality of race at this moment of social reckoning.
- We encourage people to exercise their Constitutional rights.
- As teachers, we are committed to the free exchange of ideas, promoting students’ critical thinking about the world around them. The Social Sciences shed light on the roots of structural racism, and how countless laws and policies continue to perpetuate an unequal hierarchy based on race.
- We are cognizant of academic freedom as a principle historically relied upon to protect both the search for truth and important progressive movements and the need to continue this protection.
We look forward to continuing the work necessary to achieve a just society,
The CCSF Social Sciences Department