Indemnification with insurance protects you and the District in the best interest of the community we serve. Please refer to your contract for details. You may contact Purchasing, Risk Services, or the department with whom you have a contract for more information on our requirements.
Certificate of Insurance (COI) - explained
Agreements and contracts with the District generally require insurance limits and evidence of the insurance via certificates of insurance (COI) along with specific endorsement documentation. Certificates of insurance or self-insurance are issued by the contractor's/vendor's insurance carrier to meet the contract requirements and evidence of financial responsibility should a loss or claim arise out of the agreement or contract. The District does not issue and does not sell contractor/vendor insurance.
Send COI to
San Francisco Community College District
50 Frida Kahlo Way, San Francisco 94112
Electronic submission address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make sure to submit the COI with all endorsements required under your contract prior to initiating performance.
Additional Insured Wording
San Francisco Community College District, its Trustees, officers, agents, and employees are named as additional insured.
MINIMUM Standards, subject to contract specifications, for non-construction contracts:
- Commercial/Comprehensive General Liability (mandatory): $1,000,000 per occurrence, $2,000,000 aggregate [$1M/$3M for contacts of $500,000 or greater] [Endorsements required: additional insured, coverage not affected by loss, cancellation notice, primary / noncontributory, and severability of interest]
- Commercial/Business Automobile Liability (including Owned, Scheduled, Non-Owned, or Hired): combined single limit of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence [Endorsements required: additional insured, coverage not affected by loss, cancellation notice, primary / noncontributory, and severability of interest]. NOTE: If the contract specifies (a) the District does not pay or reimburse for transportation or parking, (b) Contractor is not permitted to transport anything by vehicle on behalf of the District, and (c) Contractor will not be operating a motor vehicle on District property, then and only then District Risk Manager may waive auto liability insurance requirement.
- Workers’ Compensation: $1,000,000 per occurrence, as required by law. Does not apply if contractor has no employee. [Endorsements required: notice of cancellation and waiver of subrogation].
- Employer’s Liability: $1,000,000 per occurrence. Waived if Contractor has no employee.
- Excess / Umbrella Liability: $5,000,000 per occurrence (recommended)
- Professional Liability / Errors and Omissions: $1,000,000 for each claim, incident, or occurrence, if applicable [Endorsements required: additional insured.]. Required for work which requires a professional license, website content generation, environmental health and safety services, and a few other areas of scope. Ask Purchasing to see if your contract will require this type of insurance.
- Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer Liability, $1,000,000 per occurrence, molestation, harassment or sexual misconduct coverage, including defense, of at least $100,000 per occurrence; and damage to premises coverage of at least $100,000. Required for all fitness instructors and personal trainers regardless of contract size. Your professional organization may have assistance for you to obtain this insurance at lower cost than through a normal broker.
- Medical Specialty Liability, $1,000,000 per occurrence, molestation, harassment or sexual misconduct coverage, including defense, of at least $100,000 per occurrence; and damage to premises coverage of at least $100,000. Required for all independent contractors providing medical specialty services regardless of contract size.
- Special Event, $1,000,000 per each of the following: product/completed operations, personal/advertising injury, each occurrence, and third party property damage. Liquor liability coverage is also required if liquor is available for sale. Advance approval of the Board of Trustees is required if liquor is to be present/served, per BP 2.15. See SPECIAL EVENTS for details on process.
Blanket endorsement forms are not adequate. We require endorsement forms specifically identifying the District.
- ADDITIONAL INSURED endorsement: Name “San Francisco Community College District, its Trustees, officers, agents, and employees” as additional insured. DO NOT WRITE "City College" or something else.
ADDITIONAL INSURED COVERAGE NOT AFFECTED BY INSURED'S DUTIES AFTER ACCIDENT OR LOSS endorsement: Provides that any failure to comply with the reporting provisions of the policy shall not affect coverage to the additional insured.
CANCELLATION endorsement: Provides that the District is entitled to 30 days prior written notice of cancellation or non-renewal of the policy, or reduction in coverage.
PRIMARY, NOT CONTRIBUTORY endorsement: Provides that the insurance is primary to any insurance or self-insurance of the District, its Trustees, officials, agents, and employees, and any insurance maintained by the District, its Trustees, officials, agents, and employees shall be in excess of Contractor's insurance and shall not contribute to it.
SEVERABILITY OF INTEREST endorsement: Provides that Contractor's insurance shall apply separately to each insured against whom a claim is made or suit is brought, except with respect to the limits of the insurer's liability.
WAIVER OF SUBROGATION endorsement: Provides that the insurer will waive its right of subrogation against the District, its Trustees, officials, agents, and employees with respect to any losses paid under the terms of the workers' compensation and employer's liability insurance policy which arise from work performed by the Named Insured for the District.
Insurance - Where to Get It
SFCCD does not sell insurance. Please contact your broker or search for it online. Make sure the insurance provider is authorized to operate in California and can provide at least the insurance limits specified above.