Welcome to Philippine Studies!
Established in 1970, the Philippine Studies Department at CCSF is the only academic department in the United States specifically dedicated to the study of the Philippines. We are one of the two oldest ethnic studies departments at CCSF, with the support of community members, students, faculty, staff, and the institution. We are excited to celebrate our 50th anniversary as an academic department in 2019-2020 - stay tuned for events and programs throughout next year!
Upon completion of courses in Philippine Studies, students will be able to:
- Identify and apply basic research methods in the study of Philippine society and culture.
- Critically analyze the various historical, social, and cultural factors that have influenced Philippine society and culture.
- Evaluate the impact of historical and contemporary social movements such as colonization and immigration on the situation and conditions of various Philippine regions and groups.
- Apply knowledge and skills towards cross-cultural competence and appreciation of one's and others' cultures.
Program & Courses
In line with CCSF's Mission & Vision, the Philippine Studies
Department strives to do the following:
- Provide awareness and education about Philippine and Filipino-American history, culture and society.
- Offer courses that make students aware of the Filipino ethnic identity through varied cultural experiences.
- Help students understand other cultures and promotes appreciation of cultural diversity.
- Strive to help students fulfill transfer and graduation requirements.
- Promote intercultural studies between students in the Philippines and Filipino Americans through student internship and scholarship grants.
- Satisfy transfer and graduation requirements at CSU, UC, and other educational institutions.
Faculty, Events & Links
Like us on Facebook: Philippine Studies CCSF
We're also on Instagram (@philippinestudiesccsf) and Twitter (@PhilippinesCCSF). Follow us for latest news from the department, upcoming programs and events, and things happening in the Filipino community in San Francisco and around the world!
PHILIPPINE STUDIES ORAL HISTORY PROJECT
Did you attend City College of San Francisco between 1970 and today? Did you take classes in Philippine Studies? Were you an active member of a student club? Did you visit TULAY? If so, we are looking for you!
We are collecting stories about the Philippine Studies Department and would love to interview you! Please fill out the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible. Your story will be used as part of 50th anniversary celebrations that will be held throughout next academic year.
Thank you! We look forward to hearing your stories!