Welcome to Philippine Studies!
Established in 1970, the Philippine Studies Department at CCSF is the only academic department in the United States specifically dedicated to the study of the Philippines. We are proud of that legacy and look forward to the continued growth of the department in collaboration with students, faculty, administration, and community.
Upon completion of courses in Philippine Studies, students will be able to:
- Identify and apply basic research methods in the study of Philippine society and culture.
- Critically analyze the various historical, social, and cultural factors that have influenced Philippine society and culture.
- Evaluate the impact of historical and contemporary social movements such as colonization and immigration on the situation and conditions of various Philippine regions and groups.
- Apply knowledge and skills towards cross-cultural competence and appreciation of one's and others' cultures.
Program & Courses
In line with CCSF's Mission & Vision, the Philippine Studies
Department strives to do the following:
- Aim to provide awareness and education on Philippine and Filipino-American history, culture and society.
- Offer courses that make students aware of the Filipino ethnic identity through varied cultural experiences.
- Help students understand other cultures and promotes appreciation of cultural diversity.
- Strive to help students fulfill transfer and graduation requirements.
- Promote intercultural studies between students in the Philippines and Filipino Americans through student internship and scholarship grants.
- Satisfy transfer and graduation requirements at CSU, UC, and other educational institutions.
Faculty, Events & Links
Filipino American History Month Celebration
A CCSF official celebration hosted by the Philippines Studies department and in collaborate with MultiCultural Retention Center (MCRC), TULAY (Filipino American Studies Success Program, P.E.A.C.E., and more.
Click on the poster for descriptions and further information about upcoming FAHM events!
- SULONG! United in Action 4 Meaningful Change in the Philippines
Saturday, October 8, 2016 | 12pm-3pm
Update: MUB 240, CCSF Ocean Campus