City College of San Francisco
Registered Nursing Program
Advanced Placement Policy for Applicants Who Have Military Education and Experience
In compliance with the California Code of Regulations sections 1423.1, 1423.2 and amended CCR sections 1418, 1424, 1426, and 1430 that implement Senate Bill 466 and in recognition of the service that Military Personnel have provided to the country and its citizens, the City College of San Francisco Registered Nursing Program offers advanced placement for qualified individuals.
Individuals who present with relevant military education and experience equal to but not limited to Basic Medical Technician Corpsman (Navy HM or Air Force BMTCP), Army Health Care Specialist (68W Army Medic) or Air Force Independent Duty Medical Technician (IMDT 4N0X1C) are eligible for advanced placement at the City College of San Francisco Registered Nursing Program. All nursing courses can be challenged; however, individuals must have prior relevant education and experience that meet the specific requirements of each course.
Prospective applicants must schedule a counseling appointment with the Nursing Program Director.
The Non-Generic Admissions Committee will review the following documentation to determine whether full or partial course credit can be given for nursing courses through its course challenge policy:
- Form DD214 demonstrating honorable military discharge.
- Documents demonstrating completion of program entrance requirements including designated prerequisites and assessment testing.
- Official transcripts with syllabi of relevant military education programs and clinical experience demonstrating satisfactory completion of coursework and clinical experience
- For ALL Military Applicants: Review the CCSF Nursing Program Admission Information.
- Complete program entrance requirements including designated prerequisites.
- Schedule an advising appointment with the Director of Nursing at least 4 weeks prior to our application period to review the eligibility requirements for the CCSF Associate Degree Nursing Program.
- Submit a completed application during our annual enrollment period and choose Military Advanced Placement option on application (dates posted on CCSF Registered Nursing Website).
- Include documents of honorable discharge (Form DD214).
- Submit all official transcripts with syllabi of relevant military education program and clinical experience demonstrating satisfactory completion of coursework and clinical experience with application.
- Complete ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) exam (62% or higher) and submit first attempt official results to the Registered Nursing Department.
- Application and supporting documents will be reviewed by the Non-Generic Admissions Committee. If the applicant meets criteria for challenge, the Non-Generic Admissions Committee will schedule the candidate to complete the challenge exam(s) for all applicable courses. Satisfactory level of achievement on challenge examinations or other evaluative methods to validate achievement of course objectives will include;
- Skills competency evaluation
- Written challenge exam(s)
- Dosage calculation exam
- The following materials will be made available to the applicant as preparation for the examination(s) and skills testing for credit:
- Course outline
- Syllabus with course objectives
- Content outline
- Bibliography and textbook list
- Types of test items
- Format of examination and testing
- Critical elements for nursing skills
- Dosage calculation review sheet and rules for rounding
Advanced Placement students are admitted on a space availability basis; however, military personnel and veterans are given preference