About Cardiovascular/ECHO Technician
The CVT/ECHO Program is a four-semester (two-year) degree program that trains you in a specialty area of diagnostic imaging
Program courses include a focus on Adult Cardiac Ultrasound (Echocardiography), cardiac anatomy and physiology, 2D and M-Mode imaging, PW, CW and color flow Doppler, cardiac pathology and methods of interpretation. CVT course content includes: advanced rhythm interpretation, exercise stress testing, cardiac pharmacology, physics of ultrasound. This program admits eligible candidates into a cohort every two years.
Explore Potential Careers
Successfully completing the Cardiovascular/ECHO Technician program prepares you for positions as cardiac sonographers, echocardiography technicians, cardiovascular technicians in a medical center, cardiology officer or health center.
Due to increased educational requirements by the national registry organization, students should complete with the minimum educational units to equal an AS Degree with CVT/ECHO as their major.
- Successful completion of college-level anatomy (within the last 5 years): Bio 106 or Bio 108 or equivalent course with a grade of “C” or higher. The anatomy requirement must be completed by the December before the application process.
- Successful completion of an electrocardiography course within the last 2 years: ECGT 101 or equivalent course. The ECG Technician course must be completed by the December before the application process. Applicants who have completed an ECG Technician course and are currently working as an ECG Technician at the time of applying are not subject to the 2-year requirement but must provide proof of current employment. This new requirement is pending approval by the CCSF Curriculum Committee and will be effective for the fall 2024 admission.
- All eligible applicants are selected by lottery and will be notified of their status.
Medical Terminology, algebra, hospital or health care experience are suggested to prepare for the program.
Students who are new to City College of San Francisco must complete and submit a separate application for the College:
- Attend the mandatory CVT/ECHO Orientation
- Complete a CCSF Credit Application
- Complete a mandatory orientation with counseling
- Registration is by cohort. Students will be notified of the process.
The CVT/ECHO Program only admits students every two years. The orientations are held in the spring for the fall admission. The orientation dates will be published on a flyer in February. Applicants must have completed the required prerequisites before the application process.
The CVT/ECHO Program is a four-semester (two-year) degree program. Students must enroll in both CVT and ECHO courses each semester. They must take all courses in sequence within the two-year program.
|ENGL 1A + AS
|University-Parallel Reading and Composition + Support
|CCSF Area D
|Social and Behavioral Sciences
|CCSF Area A
|Communication and Analytical Thinking
|CCSF Area E
Total Units: 13-15
|CCSF Area F
|U.S. History & Government
|CCSF Area C
|CCSF Area H
|Ethnic, Women's, Gender, LGBTQ Studies
|CCSF Degree Applicable Units
Total Units: 12-13
Total Units: 14
|Advanced Cardiovascular Technician
|Advanced Cardiovascular Skills
|Advanced Echocardiography Technician
Total Units: 18
|Physics of Cardiac Ultrasound
|Clinical Experience in Cardiac Ultrasound
|Advanced Cardiac Abnormalities
Total Units: 18.5
|Clinical Experience in Advanced Cardiac Ultrasound
|Advanced Echocardiographic Studies
Total Units: 15.5
Overall Total Units: 66 - 94