California College Promise Grant 

(Formerly Board of Governors Fee Waiver BOGW)

This is a state fee waiver program that was designed to provide education assistance to eligible California residents attending California Community College by waiving the enrollment fees/tuition. City College of San Francisco prefers to use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  or the California Dream Act Application to determine overall student eligibility for not only the CCPG, but also for other federal or state aid programs. 

CCPG Qualifications

There are three ways a student may qualify for the CCPG. Qualifications are verified through the FAFSA, CA Dream Act, or CCPG Application.

1.      A student is currently a recipient of funds from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or General Assistance/General Relief (GA/GR), or if the student is a dependent, such funds are the sole source of income for the family. Verifiable documentation is required.

2.      Household size and annual family income. The application may ask students to provide documentation of income, such as copy of their Federal Income Tax Return; students are required to provide documentation, if requested.

3.      A student has applied for other state and/or federal aid and has demonstrated $1,104 or more of financial need by completing the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application. We highly recommend all students to submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application as this the most likely way to qualify for the CCPG.

How to Apply for CCPG

Sustaining CCPG Eligibility

Once you’ve qualified for the CCPG, it’s important to ensure that you’re meeting the following academic and progress standards in order to avoid losing the CCPG:

  • Academic – Sustain a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher.  If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters) you may lose your CCPG eligibility.
  • Progress – Complete more than 50% of your coursework.  If the cumulative number of units you complete is not more than 50% in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters), you may lose your CCPG eligibility.
  • Any combination of two consecutive terms of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative unit completion of not more than 50% may result in loss of CCPG.

Loss of CCPG - Ways to regain your eligibility

  • Improve your GPA or course completion measures to meet the academic and progress standards
  • Successful appeal regarding extenuating circumstances
  • Not attending your school district for two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters, or fall/winter/spring quarters) 

CCPG Extenuating Circumstances Appeal Include:

  • Verified accidents, illness or other circumstances beyond your control
  • Changes in economic situation
  • Evidence of inability to obtain essential support services
  • Disability accommodations not received in a timely manner
  • Special consideration factors for CalWORKs, EOPS, DSPS and Veteran students

To file an appeal for the loss of CCPG, you will need to provide the following information and documents:

1.      File a  Loss of CCPG and/or Registration Appeal Form  to the Registration Office (Ocean Campus, Smith Hall, Room 118) for the semester in which you want to re-qualify for the CCPG. 

2.      A typed statement of your situation is required.

3.      A comprehensive educational plan with all courses needed to complete the educational goal listed prepared by a counselor.

4.      Supporting documentation