Graduation Information



General Information for all degrees

  • Completion of General Education requirements for all areas.
  • Completion of mathematics requirement for graduation.
  • Completion of CCSF Associate Degree Major requirements.
  • Satisfy unit reqiurement of at least 60 units.
  • Satisfy GPA requirement of at least 2.0
  • Meet the residence requirement for graduation; completing 12 of the 60 degree applicable units at CCSF.

Different Types of Degrees

A student may be graduated from City College of San Francisco by satisfying the requirements established by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges, the Governing Board of the San Francisco Community College District and the faculty of the College.  Two paths are available:

Option 1. CCSF Associate Degree

CCSF offers the Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degree. Students must complete the CCSF General Education requirements, the major requirement, 60 degree-applicable units and other graduation requirements.

Option 2. CCSF Associate Degree for Transfer

CCSF offers Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees.  Students must complete the requirements listed in the Overview, including completion of either the CSU General Education or IGETC requirements, the major requirement, and 60 degree applicable and CSU transferable units.

Information concerning graduation requirements, types of degrees and other details may be found in the current college catalog.


Asking questions about your degree plan and meeting with a counselor or faculty advisor regularly.

Following your degree plan. DON'T ASSUME you can substitute or waive certain courses. Check with your counselor or faculty advisor.

Maintaining continuous enrollment.  Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in at least one course per academic year (fall or spring semester).  Failure to maintain continuous enrollment will result in loss of catalog rights.  For more details, see your counselor or faculty advisor.

Submitting your graduation petition BEFORE the deadline.  See the instructional calendar in the time schedule for the actual deadline date.


Counselors and Faculty Advisors can help you track your progress!

Meet with your counselor or faculty advisor regularly and prior to submission of your graduation petition.  You need to submit a graduation petition even if you are not participating in the graduation ceremony.  It is the only way your degree will be posted on your official transcript.


What is the difference between graduation and commencement ceremony?

Graduation is when a student receives a degree once all the requirements have satisfied as verified by the Graduation Department. After the verification process, the degree is posted to the student’s academic transcript. The posting of degrees and ordering of diplomas usually takes 8 to 10 weeks after final grades are recorded.

Commencement is a ceremony that allows students, family and friends to celebrate in the student’s academic accomplishments. Participation in the ceremony does not mean the student has graduated and students do not receive their actual degrees at the ceremony.