Veterans Services Office

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: How do I apply for my Veterans Educational Benefits?

Applications are available in Cloud Hall, room 333 at the CCSF Ocean Campus. Any member of the office staff can assist you, or you may apply on-line at the VA web site If you do so please download a copy.


Q2: What documentation do I need to provide to apply for my Veteran’s Educational Benefits?


Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill: Application form 1990 and a copy of form DD 214 discharge paper (member 4 copy only) that indicates an honorable discharge. Or a copy of  the Certificate of Eligibility.

Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill: Students are required to bring in a copy of certificate of Eligibility, and a copy the DD 214 member 4 that indicates an honorable discharge.

Chapter 35 for Dependents of Disabled or Deceased Veteran: Spouses need to submit a copy of their marriage certificate. Dependant children need to provide a copy of their birth certificate if completing an application in our office, or a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility with the full VA File Number as issued to the student from DVA.

Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve: Students are required to bring in a “Notice of Basic Eligibility” (NOBE) that can be obtained from their reserve or National Guard unit. They must be signed up for a six year commitment, or a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility.

Chapter 1607 (REAP): National Guard members and Reservists who have served on active duty for 90 days or more in a contingency operation after September 11, 2001 need to bring in a copy of the DD 214(member 4 copy) and the “Notice of Basic Eligibility” (NOBE). These military reservists will be informed by the Department of Veteran Affairs what their benefit package will be. They will be eligible for this benefit as long as they continue to be in the Active Reserves. 


Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP): The VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who: Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years of old


  • Are unemployed on the date of application
  • Received an other than dishonorable discharge
  • Are not eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g., the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
  • Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability
  • Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program


Special note about transcripts: All of the above recipients who have completed courses at other post-secondary institutions MUST submit official transcripts from those schools. All Air Force veterans will need to also bring in an official copy of their transcript from the Community College of the Air Force.


Q3: How long does it take for an application to be processed by the VA?

Once an application for educational benefits is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs Processing Center it usually takes four to six weeks before the certificate of eligibility is sent to the student. The certificate of eligibility needs to be brought into the CCSF VA office as soon as it is received by the student.


Q4: Are ALL City College courses certifiable for educational benefits?

No! Before a student can receive payment for the educational benefit, they must meet with the CCSF Veterans Counselor and establish an educational plan based on their educational goal (such as transfer to a university, associate degree or certificate program). Only courses required for these programs are certifiable for VA educational benefits. This process will be explained in detail during your counseling appointment.


Q4: How long does it take to get payment for educational benefits from the Department of Veteran Affairs?

After all of the admissions and application steps have been completed as mentioned above and you have requested certification, the VA can take up to six to eight weeks to process a payment. (Depending on the time of year, processing time may vary).