Equity Professional Development
The process for requesting equity professional development funds to support registration cost for conferences, workshops or classes is same as the process for requesting faculty travel funds.
However, the forms get routed to a different person in the District Business Office and the rules about what you can be compensated for are different.
The activity must also be directly related to student equity. For a full description of eligible activities. Please see: Student Equity Expenditure Guidelines
Tessa Henderson-Brown, Associate Dean of Student Equity, will not approve requests that don't match this criteria.
Applying for Faculty Professional Development Funds through Equity Professional Development
Watch the video tutorial about how to complete this process.
Faculty Professional Development Funds for Conferences, Workshops and Classes
Equity Professional Development funds can be used for the registration cost of conferences, workshops and classes.
Although Equity funds do not cover your travel or food, faculty could request funds from the faculty travel budget for the travel portion of the conference.
Out-of-State travel now requires the Vice Chancellor's approval at least TWO MONTHS BEFORE traveling, so that it can be added to the agenda for review by the Board of Trustees (BOT). Therefore, for Out-of-State conferences, the Requisition and Travel Order Form should be submitted to Equity with:
- Department Chair's Signature
- Dean's Signature
- The activity information (brochures, reg. fees, tec.)
Equity will then forward the documents for The VC's Signature (VC Boegel for Academic Affairs or VC Walton for Student Development). They will then move forward to the VC of Finance for BOT approval. Please see the Board's website for BOT meeting dates and times to make certain that you can submit your request two months before the event.
Procedures to Apply for Equity Professional Development Funds:
BEFORE the event:
NOTE: Requisitions through Equity must be submitted at least three weeks before the start date of the activity to Student Equity following the procedures below.
For group registration with a discount, ONE invoice should indicate all names of participants but it depends on the company. Otherwise, the department head/chair should attach a list of all participant names to the invoice to help track the traveler’s names. Each vendor has different requirement for registration, therefore, the dept. head/chair should contact the vendor for more details.
1. Complete the Requisition Travel Order Form with all required signatures and required amounts. The activities must be completed and all reimbursement paperwork submitted by November 30, 2017.
a. NOTE: The amount of your request must be within the amount your department has been allocated and can only cover registration costs for conference, workshop, or class. If you'd like to receive reimbursement for Faculty Travel Costs (lodging, transport, meals, etc.) please contact Fred Teti at email@example.com.
2. Download and fill out the Equity PD Funding Form explaining your request.
3. Please include a copy of the organization’s brochure or printed information with a brief description of the conference, meeting, workshop, seminar, or class.
4. If two or more funds are sharing the cost, please indicate the FOAPAL so encumbrances can be properly distributed.
AFTER the event:
Off-Campus Conferences - Participation in off-campus conferences requires completion of a Professional Development Report.
Review and Payment:
1. You will receive an expense form from the District Business Office (DBO), which you will fill out and send back to us.
2. After final review of the accuracy of documents, Dean of Student Equity will approve or sign off the expense report and submit to DBO. DBO will send reimbursement check to the mailbox you provided on the travel order request form.
3. Once you are approved, you attend your event. Keep all your receipts from the event.
4. After the event occurs, you will receive an expense form from the DBO, which you will fill out and mail back to them with all your receipts.
5. They will review your documents for accuracy and then send a check to the address that you provided.
Requesting Equity Funds for Workshops and Presenters:
If you are bringing in an outside presenter for professional development, workshop or seminar, you need to get approval first from Associate Dean, Tessa Henderson-Brown.
Please fill out the Equity Workshop/Presenter Form for your request.
Once you have approval, your presenter will fill out a short-term contract agreement and W-9 Tax ID form.
Below are links for the contract and W-9 form. Once the presenter completes the form, you can forward it back to Ivy Chau (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she can start processing the services agreement.
Please feel free to contact Tessa Henderson-Brown at email@example.com with questions about these processes.