HiSET/GED Eligibility

Age Requirements

To take the HiSET or GED test in California, you must be a California resident or a member of the armed forces assigned to this state and meet any one of the following criteria:

  • You must be 18 years of age or older or within 60 days of your 18th birthday (regardless of school enrollment status).
  • If you are within 60 days of when you would have graduated from high school had you remained in school and followed the usual course of study. (Candidates testing under this criteria may not be enrolled in school.)
  • You are 17 years of age, have been out of school for at least 60 consecutive school days, and provide a letter of request for the test from the military, a post-secondary educational institution, or a prospective employer.

Important note: If you pass the HiSET or GED test at age 17 you will not receive the California High School Equivalency Certificate until your 18th birthday; a letter of intent is issued and states that the certificate is being held pending the examinee's 18th birthday.


Identification Requirements

Valid identification is required by the National GED Testing Service, Educational Testing Service, and the California State Department of Education. All examinees must present acceptable identification at registration and at each testing session. The identification source must include the examinee's name, address, date of birth, signature, and photograph. United States Government issued photographic identification is the only means of verifying identity and age. The following are acceptable forms of identification:

  • Permanent and current drivers' license 
  • United States or Foreign Passports
  • Employment or Work Visa
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card (Green card)
  • Tribal identification cards
  • Military and other government identification cards
  • DMV identification card
  • Post-secondary school identification card 

**We cannot accept temporary drivers' licenses or identification cards**


California Residency Requirements:

Residency is required by the California State Department of Education. All examinees must present acceptable identification at each testing session. United States Government issued identification is the only means to verify California residency. The following are acceptable forms of residency:

  • California drivers' license;
  • California identification card;
  • California Birth certificate;
  • California state and federal tax returns;
  • California marriage license;
  • California vehicle registration;
  • California utility bill;
  • California voter registration;
  • California bank statement;
  • California residential lease;
  • California government issued documentation (city, county, and state)

NOTE: If you do not provide documentation to prove your identity and/or if you do not provide documentation to prove that you are a California resident, you will not be allowed to test and will lose the testing fee that was paid.

Don't have a government issued Identification, but you live in San Francisco?
You can purchase a SF City ID Card within a few days!