Verification FAQ

I cannot fill out a FAFSA or a DREAM Act application because I lost my tax information. What can I do?

If you paid to get your taxes done you can contact your tax preparer to obtain a duplicate copy or you may contact the IRS to get a free copy.


How do I use the IRS Data Retrieval?

Instructions to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:

You may be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax information from the IRS to your FAFSA.

  1. Log into your FAFSA

  2. Click “Make FAFSA Correction”

  3. Proceed to “Student Financial Information” and/or “Parent Financial Information”

  4. You will see the following questions:

  5. Did you file an amended tax return?

  6. Did you file a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return?

  7. Did you file your taxes electronically in the last 3 weeks (or by mail in the last 11 weeks)?

  8. If you can answer ‘No’ to all of the above questions, “Link to IRS” will appear.

  9. Enter your FSA Username and Password. Click “Link to IRS”

  10. Click “OK” to be transferred to the IRS website. Type the name and address EXACTLY (capitalization, punctuation, and spelling must be the same) as it appears on the tax return.

  11. Click “Submit” for the tax information to appear

  12. Check the box and click “Transfer Now” for the tax information to be transferred to your FAFSA. Once the tax information is transferred successfully from the IRS to your FAFSA, do not change the information, otherwise it will be considered unverified.

Important Notice: If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and you are selected for verification, you will need to order an official tax return transcript from the IRS.


How can I request IRS Tax Transcripts?

  • Go to Internal Revenue Service under the Tools section select Get Transcripts for Your Tax Records

  • Select either Get Transcript ONLINE or Get Transcript by MAIL

  • Create an account

  • If you request your transcript online, just download the PDF, print and attach to any documents we may need

  • Mailing a transcript can take about 5-10 business days


I did not file a tax return because my income was low. Can I apply for financial aid using the FAFSA or DREAM Act application?

Yes. When filling out the FAFSA or DREAM Act application, please remember to indicate you will not file taxes and report your total earnings for the year. However, if you were required to file a tax return but didn’t, you will need to file it before your application can be completed.