Satisfactory Academic Progress FAQ

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Maintaining SAP status is crucial to keeping Financial Aid eligibility. Students must meet the below requirements each semester.

  • Maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA and

  • Complete at least 2/3 (67%) of units each term and

  • Complete at least 2/3 (67%) of units overall and

  • Complete program within the ‘Maximum Time Frame’ or 150% of the normal program length


Why am I on Financial Aid “Warning/Disqualification”?

You are on warning/disqualification because you failed to meet the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. The first time it occurs you will be placed on “Warning” status and the second consecutive semester that the SAP is not met, you will be “Disqualified” from receiving most types of Financial Aid.


What happens if I drop my classes after receiving my Financial Aid award?

If you drop all of your units while receiving Financial Aid, you may be required to repay the funds. The repayment amount will be determined after the add/drop period has ended. Students should periodically view there CCSF Portal for any payment notices. Visit the Financial Aid Office to consult a specialist on how this may affect your Financial Aid.


Can I change my major and still get Financial Aid?

Yes, you can change your major while receiving Financial Aid. However, students are required to declare a degree or certificate or transfer program with the Admissions & Records or Financial Aid Office in person. Students must complete their educational objective (graduation, transfer, certificate, etc.) by the time they have attempted 90 units or 150% of the declared program of study. Consult a counselor or the Transfer Center to decide as early as possible on a major.