AB 540 Information

AB 540 and its amendments AB 2000 and SB 68, are California Assembly Bills passed in 2001, 2014, and 2017 respectively. These bills allowed for students who are considered a Non-Resident student in a CA public college or university to be considered a resident for tuition purposes. 


AB 540/AB 2000/SB 68 Eligibility Criteria

To qualify, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Attend a California high school for a minimum of three or more years; OR

  • Attend a California elementary, middle, and/or high school for a combination of three or more years; OR
  • Attend or attain credits at a California high school, California adult school, and/or California Community College for a combination of three or more years (only two years maximum of a California Community College can be used); 


  • Graduated from a California high school; OR
  • Received a GED or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam; OR
  • Complete or will complete an Associate’s Degree from a California Community College; OR
  • Complete or will complete the minimum transfer requirements at a California Community College for transfer into the CSU or UC system;


  • Are registered or enrolled at a California Community College;



Important Information Regarding AB 540/AB 2000/SB 68

The law prevents public colleges and universities in California from discriminating against a student’s admissions based on a student’s immigration status. Therefore, students are not required to provide a Social Security Card for admission purposes. 

To support this, the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form is worded as to protect undocumented students from having to declare their immigration status. Undocumented students (including DACA recipients, permanent residents, and U.S. citizens must all state they are not a “nonimigrant allien.” 

Though AB 540/AB 2000/SB 68 establish residency for tuition purposes, these laws do not establish legal residency in California. For additional questions, please refer to CCSF’s AB 540 FAQs