Who is eligible for Financial Aid

To receive financial aid, you must:

  • Be accepted and enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program leading to an Associate Degree, transfer to a four-year college or university to obtain a bachelor’s degree, or certain certificate programs that are eligible for financial aid.  Be sure to declare an “Education Goal” on the admissions application;
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen for federal financial aid;
  • Demonstrate financial need for need-based program;
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in course of study according to the standards and practices of CCSF;
  • Not owe a refund on a Federal Pell Grant or Federal SEOG;
  • Not be in default on any Federal Perkins, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Direct Loans, or California Loan to Assist Students/PLUS;
  • Male applicants between the ages of 18 through 25 must be registered with Selective Service (see information below);
  • Have a valid Social Security Number and be sure to provide your social security number on the admissions application for federal financial aid;
  • Must not have federal benefits suspended due to drug offense conviction while receiving federal student aid;
  • Have a high school diploma (or equivalent).


The federal Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2012, (Public Law 112-74) made changes to student eligibility for federal  financial aid starting with  the 2012-2013 Award Year.

Students who do not have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (e.g.,GED or CHSPE or AA/AS degree), or do not meet the home school requirements, and who first enroll in a program of study on or after July 1, 2012, will not be eligible to receive Title IV student aid

A student who does not possess a high school diploma, or a recognized equivalent, but who is, or was, enrolled in a Title IV eligible program anytime prior to July 1, 2012, may be eligible to receive Title IV student assistance under the ATB alternatives:

  1. If you were enrolled in the eligible program prior to July 1, 2012, you can pass the federally approved Ability to benefit Test at CCSF.  Please check Matriculation Services website for ATB test dates and times.
  2. You may also qualify if you were enrolled in the eligible program and have completed six degree applicable units at CCSF prior to July 1, 2012.  You may also transfer units completed at other colleges or universities.  Units must be applicable toward the degree or certificate offered by CCSF.  For evaluation of transferred units please contact the Office of Admissions and Records.  When CCSF determines that you earned six degree applicable units prior to July 1, 2012 and the requirement is cancelled, please bring all requested documents to complete your file.  Please check your financial aid status on CCSF’s WebSTARS.

Selective Service Registration Requirement

The federal Military Selective Service Act requires most males residing in the United States to register with the Selective Service System within thirty days of their eighteenth birthday. Most males between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered.  It's the law.  In California, students subject to the Act who fail to register are also ineligible to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or a public postsecondary institution.

Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for financial aid can also request that information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Information on the Selective Service System is available and the registration process may be initiated online at http://www.sss.gov/.

You do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; be sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to the Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94636, Palatine, IL 60094-4636.

Be sure to register before your 26th birthday. After that, it's too late!

Selective Service does not collect any information which would indicate whether or not you are undocumented. You want to protect yourself for future U.S. citizenship and other government benefits and programs by registering with Selective Service. Do it today.

Gender and Registration:  Only individuals who were born male are required to register.