Return to Title IV


Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how City College of San Francisco (CCSF) must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, Direct Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans.

Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds as you complete the period. If you withdraw during your payment period, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement.  If your post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, CCSF must get your permission before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. CCSF may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, or fees charges. The school needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other school charges. If you do not give your permission (some schools ask for this when you enroll), you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school.  There are some Title IV funds that you were scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not receive any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the
30th day.

If you receive excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, CCSF must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds.

CCSF must return this amount even if we didn’t keep this amount of your Title IV program funds.

If CCSF is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

Any loan funds that you must return, you repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with your school or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any CCSF refund policy. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges.  CCSF will also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return. If you don’t already know CCSF’s refund policy , you should ask a copy. CCSF can also provide you with the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from school.

Word of Advise

If you are thinking of withdrawing or just leaving… Please, think again.

Immediately see an academic counselor in the Financial Aid Office, Cloud Hall 324 to discuss your academic or personal reasons for leaving.  Perhaps you can stay but take fewer courses. May be there are services (like tutoring or personal support) that will help you stay. Talk to your teachers; see what advice and help they can offer.

Don’t leave unless you must.  But if you must, take care of business before you go.

Begin the withdrawal process at the Office of Admissions and Records, Conlan Hall 107.  The Financial Aid Office in Cloud Hall 324 will notify you of how much you will owe and how you will have to repay it.  You can repay the amount owed to Tuition and Fees Office, Smith Hall 118.  If you leave without taking care of this and you owe money, the Financial Aid Office will have to put a NATIONAL HOLD on your student aid eligibility.  After the hold is placed, you will be required to contact the Federal Government and arrange for regular re-payments.  After the repayment arrangement is made, you may regain your student aid eligibility.  CCSF does not have the authority to waive or write off the repayment requirement, regardless of the reason for the withdrawal, including extenuating circumstances such as illness, accident or personal loss.