Federal Direct Loans
Federal Direct Loans (FDL) are federal funds that a student borrowers from the Department of Education. The FAFSA determines a student’s financial need, and therefore, what type of loan(s) a student is eligible for.
Federal Direct Loan Eligibility Criteria
A student must meet the following criteria to be eligible for Federal Direct Loans:
- Complete a FAFSA
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units, half-time, per semester
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Not be delinquent or in defualt on any previously borrwed Federal Student Loans
- Not be in overpayment on any previously received Pell Grant
- Not exceeding annual or aggregate loan limits from prior loan usage
Please Note: Students have have more than 120 attempted units, are not eligible for Title IV aid, including Federal Direct Loans.
Federal Direct Loan Types
Depending on your financial need as determined by the FAFSA, there are two types of Federal Direct Loans you are eligible for:
- Subsidized Loan: A need-based loan program in which the loan interest is subsidized (paid) by the Department of Education while a student is in school at least half-time or during periods of deferment
- Unsubsidized Loan: A non-need-based loan program in which the loan interest accrues (is charged) upon disbursement of the loan
A student may be eligible for both loan types or only the Unsubsidized Loan based on financial need.
Applying for a Federal Direct Loan
In order to receive a Federal Direct Loan, you must do the following:
- Contact the Financial Aid Office and request to be assigned an online Federal Loan Workshop on myRAM
- Must complete an online Loan Entrance Counseling
- Must complete an online Master Promissory Note
- Renewal loan borrowers must provide a printout of past loan activity from the National Student Loan Data System
- Turn in all required documents along with a current government-issued photo ID to the Financial Aid Office
Processing time is approximately 4-6 weeks after all requested loan documents are received. Once CCSF releases loan funds, you have 30 days to a request a cancellation of your loan.