What is CalWORKs?

CalWORKs is the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids program. It provides cash aid, employment services, and other benefits to needy families.

CalWORKs may also be referred to as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), which is the name for the federal program that funds CalWORKs. Some people may simply call CalWORKs "public benefits", "welfare" or "cash aid".

Who is eligible for CalWORKs?

Eligibility requirements for cash aid/welfare include having dependent children, a low income and other requirements that are described by the HSA.

What is the CalWORKs Program at City College of San Francisco?

The CalWORKs Program at City College is here for CalWORKs cash aid/welfare recipients who have education as their designated Welfare-to-Work activity. We work closely with the HSA and on-campus services to support participants with their academic studies and financial needs.

What is the difference between CalWORKs, EOPS, and CARE?

Both CalWORKS and EOPS/CARE are CCSF student support programs which support low income students.  

Eligibility requirements for CalWORKs and EOPs are different. CalWORKs students must be parents or guardians, and they and their children must be receiving cash aid/welfare. They must also have an approved County Welfare to Work Plan, fulfill work participation requirements, and can take both credit and non-credit classes.

CARE is a program for EOPS participants who are on CalWORKs.  CARE provides additional resources to this group of students.

I want to go to City College of San Francisco, what do I do?

Call us and schedule an appointment at (415) 452-5700


Have you heard about AB705?

Learn more about this state initiative by watching the video below: 

Know Your Rights: The AB 705 Initiative and What it Means for Students