Fee Payment FAQ












Fee Payment FAQ

Why must I pay my fees at the time of registration?

City College of San Francisco District policy requires students to pay all fees at the time of registration. CCSF will be enforcing this by dropping classes for non-payment of fees. If students are unable to pay their fees, they should apply for federal financial aid, apply for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver, or enroll in a low cost payment plan offered by ­­­­­­­Nelnet Business Solutions in order to prevent being dropped from classes. Dropping for nonpayment will be enforced during the registration period only. Students are responsible for all fees for courses not dropped by the mandated deadline dates (See online class schedule for important deadline dates).

When must I pay my fees?

All fees are due at the time of registration. You may either pay by credit card, check or cash. Students are assessed tuition fee, enrollment fee, health fee, associated students activity fee, student representation fee, WEB4 user fee and in some cases, instructional materials fees.

What should I do if I can’t afford to pay my fees at the time of registration?

You should:

1.       Apply for financial aid, by filling out the FAFSA (www.FAFSA.gov), and/or apply for a Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver.

2.       Sign up for a payment plan (the district payment plan is administered by Nelnet Business Solutions to spread your payments out during the semester. Once classes have begun, you must drop your classes by the mandated deadline dates to avoid unwanted fees/charges.

3.       Through the WEB4, you may Self Exempt if you are in the process of applying for Financial aid, you are a Veteran or you are expecting a third party to pay your fees (Proof of award or documentation must be submitted to the Tuition and Fees Office before the last day to pay to avoid being dropped for non payment).


What happens if all my fees aren’t paid by the established dates that the drops for non-payment occur and I didn’t apply for a payment plan, apply for financial aid, or indicate that my fees are paid for by a third party?

(See Schedule for Dropping Classes for Non Payment of Fees)

What happens if I only owe $1.00 at the time of the deadline for paying fees? Will I still be dropped from my classes?
No. The minimum outstanding balance to avoid being dropped for nonpayment is $27.00. However, students who owe $27.01 or more must pay all their fees in full, apply for financial aid, enroll in a payment plan, select Self-Exemption using Web4 or indicate that their fees are paid for by a third party to avoid being dropped for non-payment of fees.


Are waitlisted courses dropped?

No. If you are on a waitlist you are not officially enrolled in a course and therefore, you will not be dropped from the waitlist.

What happens if I initially paid my fees in full, but make changes in my schedule resulting in additional fees owed?

It depends on the date the class(es) were added. If you changed your schedule within the same payment due cycle then the answer is yes.

See schedule for Dropping Classes for Non Payment of Fees

If the add and payment is made in different cycles, then you will only be dropped from the classes payment was not made.


Why was I dropped from all of my courses when I paid for everything but one course?

If you have an outstanding balance of more than $27.00 than you will be dropped from all of your courses. However, if you are registered and paid for all of your courses within a payment cycle but later add more courses you will only be dropped from the additional courses.


What happens if I have been dropped from my classes for non-payment?

If you are dropped from your classes for non-payment, you will need to try to re-enroll in the classes you were originally enrolled in or select other classes. If you believe you were dropped in error because you 1) paid all your fees, 2) filed a FAFSA or a Board of Governors Grant, 3) enrolled in a payment plan or 4) have your fees paid for by a third party, contact the Registration Office, Smith Hall – 118 at the Ocean Campus.

How do I sign up for a Nelnet payment plan?

Simple Steps to sign-up for a Nelnet payment plan

  • Login at www.ccsf.edu/WEB4 (log in using your Student ID & PIN #).
  • Click on the Student Services & Financial Aid & EOPS > Registration
  • Select “Sign-up for a Payment Plan”
  • Select the term for which you are paying

If you use cash ONLY, you will NOT be able to participate in the payment plan.

 To participate in the NBS payment plan you are required to use a credit or debit card for automatic payment.  If you only use cash as a form of payment, Students will be required to pay in full in person at the Registration Center, S.H #118 at the Ocean campus.

What are the costs associated with the payment plan?

A summary of all the fees associated with the payment plan is listed below.

Fees payable by students who sign up for the payment plan   -

Description of Fee



Sign-up fee


$18 per semester.

Processing Fee

$  2

$ 2. For full payments received through NBS payment portal.

Return Payment  Fee


$30 for each returned payment due to insufficient credit or Debit account.



No interest will be assessed for any balance on the payment plan.

How do I make payments?  

You can make payment plan payments with a Credit or Debit Card, You will make all payments directly to Nelnet Business Solutions, not to the Registration Office. If you only use cash, you will not be able to participate in the payment plan.

Is there any minimum amount I need to owe in order to sign up for a payment plan?

No. NBS will allow you to set up a payment for any outstanding balance. However, It is recommended that students who owe less than $50.00 pay their fees in full to avoid the additional $18.00 payment plan set up fee.

What if I add or reduce my total unit load such that my payment plan balance changes?

Nelnet Business Solution will decrease or increase your payment amounts automatically (depending on the balance due). You may contact NBS with any questions regarding your Payment Plan. You may contact Nelnet Business Solutions to inform them that your fee balance has changed. They can assist you in adjusting your payment plan up or down. You can contact NBS at 800-609-8056 .

What if I decide that I want to pay off my plan balance early?

Students who pay their fees in full 72 hours prior to their payment plan due date will not have their scheduled payment amount deducted direct from their account. You may contact NBS to schedule payment in full at 800-609-8056 .

What if I default on my payment plan?

If you default on your payment plan, you will have a hold placed on your record in April and you will not be able to register for any subsequent terms until the balance is paid in full. You will not be able to request official transcripts until your fees have been paid in full. In addition, you will be sent to collections for the outstanding fees owed to the college. If you pay your outstanding balance and enroll in a subsequent term, you will be able to sign up for another payment plan.

Who should I contact if I have a question about my payment plan?

 You can log in to the www.mypaymentplan.com which will take you directly to "Manage Your Account". You will need your NBS agreement number provided to you when you initially enrolled in the payment plan in order to manage your account. If you have forgotten this number contact NBS directly at 800-609-8056. Agents are available 24/7.

Can I sign up for a payment plan at any time during the semester?

No. There is a deadline date established each semester. After that date you will not be able to sign up for a payment plan. (See www.mycollegepaymentplan.com/ccsf) The later that you sign up for the plan, the fewer payments you’ll make but the amounts will be larger.

When will my last payment be due for the Spring 2016 semester?
The last payment date is in April 2016. You must have a $0 balance at that time in order to register for the next semester.

Do I have to be determined eligible for financial aid in order not to be dropped from my classes by the deadline?

No. If you filed a FAFSA and your FAFSA was processed by the Federal Central Processor and received by the Financial Aid Office within five business days of the drop date, you will not be dropped. You should plan to file at least two weeks prior to your registration date to ensure that CCSF receive your FAFSA.  

I have applied for and received a Board of Governor’s Grant (BOGW) waiver. Will this fee waiver cover all my fees?
No, the BOGW only covers enrollment fees. It does not cover additional fees you are assessed (e.g. health fee, student body fee, student representation fee, instructional materials fees, etc.) If you cannot pay these additional fees, you are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid by filling out the FAFSA (www.FAFSA.gov). While you will not be dropped if you file a BOGW, you are responsible for the payment of the additional fees. Failure to pay any remaining balance will prevent you from registering in subsequent semesters.

I’m an international student? When will I have to pay my fees?

International students must meet the same fee deadlines as all other students. You should sign up for a payment plan if you cannot pay your fees by the Drop for Nonpayment deadline date.


I am a California resident and I am being charged as a non-resident student. What should I do?

You must submit proof of California Residency to the Residency Unit, in the Office of Admissions and Records, Conlan Hall -107 at the Ocean Campus.  In the meantime, while your case is being reviewed, you must select “Residency Adjustment Pending” on the Self-Exemption page in WEB4 to avoid being dropped for nonpayment of fees.  

My fees are paid by a third party. What do I need to do to avoid being dropped for nonpayment?

When signing up for classes, you will also be able to update information on Web4 to indicate that your fees are paid for by a third party. Documentation will be required. The colleges will also assist in identifying those students whose fees are paid for by third parties and not drop those students for non-payment. You should check with the Tuition and Fees Office, Smith Hall room 118, to make sure that we know your fees are paid for by a third party (e.g. Veteran’s Administration, Department of Rehabilitation, etc.) Please be reminded that some third party payers only pay enrollment fees. You will be responsible for the other fees that are assessed (e.g. health fee, student body fee, student representation fee, instructional materials fees, etc.)

Will I still be able to pay by check? 

Yes. You may pay by check before the payment due date in the Registration Center, Smith Hall room 118 at the Ocean Campus. You may mail your check to the Registration Center, Smith Hall 118, 50 Phelan Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94112 (Please allow 48 hours before your due date for processing).