Office of Student Affairs & Wellness
Etiquette Guidelines for Commencement
ALL PERSONS ATTENDING COMMENCEMENT SHALL ABIDE BY THE COLLEGE CODE OF CONDUCT, AS WELL AS SPECIFIC REGULATIONS PUT IN PLACE FOR THIS PARTICULAR EVENT AS FOLLOWS:
- All graduates must arrive on time. If you arrive late, you will have to wait until the speakers are finished before you are escorted to your seat.
- All graduates will be properly attired in their Cap & Gown. Gowns are to remain zipped up and closed throughout the duration of the ceremony.
- All graduates are to check in upon arrival and should remain in the graduate staging area until the ceremony begins.
- Graduates are NOT allowed to have any personal belongings with them during the ceremony. This includes, purses, bags, wardrobe of any kind, etc.
- Cell phone usage and texting during the ceremony is strictly prohibited. If you are seen doing either you can be asked to leave.
- Graduates are not allowed to display personal signs/banners of any kind during the ceremony. Tasteful artwork on caps is permitted.
- All graduates will be ushered off the field once the ceremony has finished. Graduates meet their guests in the amphitheater plaza after the ceremony. There will be no gathering allowed on the field or parking lot.
Disrespecting others in any way during the ceremony will not be tolerated.
- Guest seating is general admission. Any late guests, should quietly take their seats at the top of the stadium so as to not disrupt the ceremony.
- If guests have small children, or will need to get up frequently during the ceremony, they may consider sitting in an easily accessible area near the top of the stadium so as not to disrupt the ceremony
- Guests are not allowed to block or stand in the aisle. It is a hazard and disruptive.
- For the enjoyment of all, guests should refrain from phone conversations and texting during the ceremony.
- There is no outside food or drink allowed.
- There are no pets allowed, except service animals.
If you are in violation of the expected code of conduct and/or refuse to comply with the request of college officials, you will be asked to leave the ceremony and escorted by campus police.
There is a zero tolerance policy on commencement day.
If there is something you are not sure about that is not addressed on this page or in the Commencement Circular, please feel free to contact our office. Also, if there is something that is not included that you feel is important, please let us know.