Work Experience Hours
Work Experience Hours
City College of San Francisco Curriculum Committee
Work Experience Hours Resolution
Approved March 25, 2015
Whereas the regulations for cooperative work experience are covered in Title 5, Chapter 6, Subchapter 3, Article 4, beginning with section 55250. Title 5 section 55256.5 governs apportionment and the award of credit for work experience courses:
(a) One student contact hour is counted for each unit of work experience credit in which a student is enrolled during any census period. In no case shall duplicate student contact hours be counted for any classroom instruction and Cooperative Work Experience Education. The maximum contact hours counted for a student shall not exceed the maximum number of Cooperative Work Experience Education units for which the student may be granted credit as described in section 55253.
(b) The learning experience and the identified on-the-job learning objectives shall be sufficient to support the units to be awarded.
(c) The following formula will be used to determine the number of units to be awarded:
(1) Each 75 hours of paid work equals one semester credit or 50 hours equals one quarter credit.
(2) Each 60 hours of non-paid work equals one semester credit or 40 hours equals one quarter credit.
Because City College of San Francisco operates on the semester system, the relevant ratios of 75 hours of paid work or 60 hours of unpaid work per semester unit apply.
At the time a department brings a work experience course to the Curriculum Committee for review, it may not know whether the work experience will entail paid or non-paid work. It’s conceivable that, in a given semester, two students registered in the same work experience course will have different kinds of opportunities.
Be it Resolved
During the first weeks of the semester, instructors of work experience courses will work with students to determine the specific nature of their work experience, and can adjust the number of units for which the student is registered, based on the particulars (hours, paid/non-paid status) of the experience.
- The following information regarding Work Experience Hours will be added to the Curriculum Committee Handbook;
- In the Hours section of the course outline, departments indicate a maximum and minimum based on the ratio “75 hours of paid work or 60 hours of non-paid work per unit,” for example 60 – 225 total;
- In the Units section of the course outline, departments will write the number of units or range of units for the course, for example 1 – 3;
- Departments will be strongly encouraged to create variable-unit work experience courses, so that opportunities for students are flexible.