Earth Science Club
The Earth Science Club is a group of students interested in learning more about Earth Science events and opportunties. The Club consists of an email list, to which students and faculty can submit information about upcoming events, and through which students can coordinate rides and gatherings.
- Friday December 9, 2016 -- 12-1 pm -- AGU Preview in S45
2015-2016 academic year
- Friday December 11, 12-1 pm, AGU Pow Wow in S45
2014-2015 academic year
- Friday December 12, 12-1 pm, AGU Pow Pow in S45
- October 25th 12:30-5 pm
South San Francisco Bay Cruise -- information | registration
- End-of-Semester Mentor Appreciation Party -- May
- End-of-Semester Holiday Party -- December
- AGU conference -- Moscone Center -- December 9-13
- End-of-semester Mentor Appreciation Party and Graduation
Celebration -- May 17th -- 5-7 pm -- in S-45
- Saturday, May 18th -- 10 am to 3 pm -- End-of-Semester Hike -- Los Trancos -- Santa Cruz Mountains
- APRIL 22, 2013 -- CCSF
Earth Day Celebration
- Friday, April 12 -- Computer Lab Help/Photo
- March 16, Saturday -- all day -- Donald & Sylvia McLaughlin Natural Reserve
- March 4, 2013, 7:30PM - "Climate disruption: What math and science have to say" at the Palace of Fine Arts. Part of the Mathematics of Planet Earth initiative. Faculty and students can get complimentary tickets by going to the website http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/317234 and entering the discount code "earth"
- WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) student club meeting: Friday, Feb 1st - 3:00 PM in S133.
- Thursday January 24 - Lecture at USGS, Menlo Park: “Exploring the Earth's Crust” Seismology Uncovers Hidden Secrets Beneath Our Feet
- Friday, January 18 -- 12:30-1:30 pm -- S45 -- Pizza Party and Semester kick-off
- Friday, December 14th -- 5-7 pm -- S45 -- Holiday Party
- Monday, December 3-7 -- AGU -- International San Francisco Geology Conference in San Francisco
- Friday, December 7 -- 12 to 1 pm -- S5 -- Sian Proctor -- The Science of Opportunity -- " How a career in science will change your life"
- Friday, November 30 -- AGU strategy session-- 2-3 pm in S5.
- Tuesday, – November 13 5:30–8:30 -- Penninsula Geological Society “The Science Behind the Taming of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill” at Stanford University.
- Thursday November 15 at 7 pm - USGS, Menlo Park: “Understanding Climate-Wildlife Relationships”
- Saturday, November 3 -- 11 am to 4 pm -- AT&T Park Bay Area Science Festival
- Friday, October 5 -- 9 am -- Aquarium of the Bay Film Series -- National Expert Sylvia Earle Speaks About Oceans in Crisis. Can We Save the Fish In the Sea?
- Thursday, October 25 -- Aquarium of the Bay Film Series -- Sharks! Why We Fear Them, Why We Need Them, The Case for Global Conservation of Sharks Distinguished presenters include Dr. John McCosker and Kip Evans
- Sunday, October 21 -- 11 am to 4 pm -- Romberg Tiburon Center's Discovery Day Open House
- September 27 -- 7-9 pm -- Golden Gate Cetacean Research Organization presents: "They're Back! The Harbor Porpoises of San Francisco Bay"
- Saturday, September 15 -- 9 am to Noon -- Heron's Head -- Coastal Cleanup Day -- Earth Science Department Event!
- Monday, Sept. 10 -- 12:15 pm -- San Jose State University -- Geology Club Seminar/Talk by CCSF Professor/USGS Researcher Jim Kuwabara on "Wetland restoration in the Upper Klamath Basin: The legacy of accumulated solutes".
- Saturday, August 18 -- Noon to 4:30 pm -- Open House at the Hazel-Atlas Mine in Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve
- Saturday, May 26 -- End-Of-Semester Hike -- loop trail around the cliffs above Rodeo Beach -- Coastal, Wolf Ridge, Miwok -- great chert and views of the ocean
- Friday, May 18 -- 5:30 pm -- End-of-Semester Mentor-Appreciation party
- May 19, 20 -- USGS Open House
- Wednesday, April 25 -- 4-5 pm -- Berkeley Lawson Lecture on Earthquakes (Once-A-Year lecture series)
- Thursdays -- U.C. Berkeley EPS Department Seminars -- Learn more about ongoing research in the various Earth Science fields
- Fridays -- U.C. Berkeley EPS Department Career Panels -- Learn What you can do with an Earth Sciences degree -- 325 McCone Hall
- Saturday, April 21 -- UC Davis Picnic day: opportunity to check out the campus and Earth Science department
- Saturday, April 21 -- Cal Day Open House -- UC Berkeley
- Friday, April 13th -- Frisco Day (FRIday =Successful College Opportunities)-- Department Booth for open college day with High School students and others in the community
- Friday, April 13th -- 5 pm -- Video in S45 on Evolution
- Sperm Whale Soirée -- Art & Science Reception & Lecture -- Saturday, March 3rd -- 7:00 to 10:00 pm --At the Randall Museum
- The Mineral and Gem Society of Castro Valley -- Jewelry, Gem & Mineral Show & Sale -- March 2, 3 & 4, 2012
- Holiday Potluck Party -- Dec. 16
- Urban Geology Field Trip Saturday, Dec. 10, 9-11 am, Union Square (RSVP to Katryn Wiese)
- AGU -- Fall Conference Moscone Center -- December 5-9
- AGU Pre-Conference Pow-Wow -- Friday Dec 3 -- Noon to 1 pm -- S45 Review strategies, tips, and don't miss events
- Bay Area Science Festival -- November 6th -- Thanks for all the help! AT&T Park
- COASTAL CLEANUP DAY + beach picnic -- September 17th 10 am to 1 pm
- U.C. Berkeley Meet and Greet and BBQ -- September 15th
from 3-6 pm.
- END-OF-SEMESTER HIKE for the Department and the Earth Sciences Club -- Saturday, May 21 -- 10 am – Montara Mountain -- San Pedro Valley Park
- 7:30 pm, Thursday, May 19th, 2011 --
Who Killed Off the Oysters of SF Bay? SF Natural History
Series -- Guest Speaker: Andrew at Cohen Randall Museum. http://sfnhs.wordpress.com/Peninsula Geologic Society --
- Lecture at Stanford -- 7:30 pm, Tuesday, May 10. Topic: Durations of magma storage and evolution at large and small silicic volcanoes. Speaker: Jorge Vazquez, USGS Copy of flyer
- FRIsco Day -- 10 am to
2 pm -- Friday, April 29
Thanks to those who helped as we shared information about our Earth Sciences program with 1800 High School students.
- March 11-13 -- Ocean Film Festival -- Pier 39
- Thursday, February 24, 2011, 7:00 p.m. -- USGS, Conference Room A, Bldg 3, Menlo Park "Is Our Coast in Jeopardy?" -- predicting the impact of extreme storms on the California Coast by Patrick Barnard
- Feb 25-27 -- Mineral and Gem Society of Castro Valley Annual Mineral and Gem Show at the Newark Pavillion ($5 for 3-day pass with online coupon)
- Community College Institute -- Deadline: Feb. 1 -- This program places students from community colleges in paid internships in Science and Engineering and Technology at any of several different locations
- Friday Dec. 12 5-7 pm
DEPARTMENT HOLIDAY PARTY -- Bring your favorite Earth Science
process/feature captured in food and compete for the grand prize and
- Mineral Gazing -- October 23rd -- 2-3:30 pm -- A chance to meet Jack Halpern and examine his amazing mineral collection
- Coastal Cleanup Day -- September 25th -- 9 am to 12 pm at Ocean Beach (Details).Fall AGU pow-wow -- Friday, September 17 -- 3-4 pm S45
- End-of-Semester Earth Sciences Club Party -- celebrating Scholarship winners, graduates, and a successful semester! (Friday, May 22, 3-5 pm, S45)
- Mt. Diablo Fieldtrip on Saturday, April 24th (Rock City and Fossil Ridge 3-4 hours), Led by Professor Katryn Wiese
- Gem and Mineral Show in San Jose on April 16, 17, and 18
- CCSF March in March -- 7 attendees
- The Earth Science Club welcomed Karen
Grove, from SF State University, who gave a talk about Chile's
Magnitude 8.8 Earthquake (Download/view Flyer -- PDF)
Friday March 12, 1:30 to 2:30 PM in Science Hall room 5, Ocean Campus
- IRIS Teaching resources (also En Español)
- Marin Headlands Fieldtrip on Saturday, March 27th (Battery 129, Pt. Bonita Lighthouse, Rodeo Beach -- 12:30-2:30), Led by Professor Katryn Wiese