Entry Level Classes

What If I’m Returning to School and Need to Build Up My Skills?

If you’re just starting to think about returning to school, or have been out of school for a long time, you might consider a class on study skills or reading/writing skills. LERN 50 and IDST 50 are "College Success" courses designed for anyone new to college, and can really help you set up systems and habits that will make studying easier. For more information on these courses, check out the Learning Assistance Center (2nd floor of Rosenberg Library) or the Interdisciplinary Studies department. 

For students who want to transfer, the Metro Tranfer Academies works with students who test into English 96 and Math 40 (MATH 60 for Science majors).  By pairing English or math courses with Health Education classes, students often get more out of both classes. 

For students who never finished high school or have doubts about their basic reading and writing skills, City College offers a number of different courses that can help.  The Matriculation Office can provide information on college testing, which may help place you into the appropriate English class.  The Transitional Studies department offers a number of courses to tone up your reading and writing skills, which do not require taking any test before you enroll, and in fact, because they are non-credit courses, they don't require you to pay anything to enroll, either.  All noncredit courses are free (no tuition).

The Health Professions: Communication and Careers sequence of English as a Second Language (ESL) courses (ESL 20, 23 and 26) are an excellent preparation for working in the health field, and for succeeding in college courses.  These classes emphasize oral (spoken) communication skills, and they also orient students to many aspects of the health system here in the U.S.  Students can start the sequence any semester, with any of the three courses (although it is ideal to start with ESL 20).  Some semesters this course is offered as a noncredit (free) course, as well as for credit.  Check the current class schedule to find out more.


Are There Entry-Level Courses for the Health Education Certificates?

Several of the certificates in the Health Education department offer a "gateway" course - often a one-unit course that helps students learn more about the program and assess how ready they are to commit to a certificate program. 

For the Drug & Alcohol Certificate, the "gateway" course is HLTH 100.

For the Community Health Worker Certificate, and the Youth Worker and Post-Prison Worker certificates that are connected to the Community Health Worker Certificate, the place to start is HLTH 59.

For the Community Mental Health Worker Certificate, the first course is HLTH 91D.

For the Healthcare Interpreting Certificate, there is no "gateway" course, but all program applicants must attend an orientation, complete a language assessment, and fill out an application.

For the Infectious Disease Prevention in Priority Populations Certificate programs, there is no "gateway" course or prerequisites.  Many students in this program find HLTH 67 is a good place to start.

For the Nutrition Assistant Certificate, the first course is HLTH 170.