Health Education Major
The Health Education Department offers a Major in Health Education designed to prepare students for transfer to the California State University (CSU) system for further study in health education, public health and related academic fields. With a Bachelor’s Degree in Health Education, students are prepared for careers with a wide range of public and private employers. The Health Education Major is open to all students who are admitted to City College of San Francisco and who have satisfied the prerequisites listed next to each course before enrolling in that course.
Purpose and Goal
The purpose of CCSF’s Health Education Major is to provide students
with coursework in public health content to prepare them to transfer
California State University system in health education, public health and related academic fields. The major prepares students with an analysis of the major determinants of health and illness, in-depth health content, an overview of necessary skills in the field, including interpersonal and quantitative reasoning skills.
The goal of this program is to prepare a diverse student body to address the health needs of our communities.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
• Analyze the various factors that shape health and illness of individuals and communities and propose and compare strategies to improve
• Demonstrate communication skills that enhance interpersonal relations and value cultural awareness and sensitivity.
• Examine the causes of health inequities and critically analyze theoretical models and research findings.
• Access, interpret and analyze health data; design tools, measures and apply statistical models to understand and improve community health.
• Meet the requirements for transfer to health education and related programs in the California State University System.