Healthcare Interpreter Certificate
The program for the Health Care Interpreter Certificates is designed to train bilingual/bicultural students to become linguistically and culturally competent interpreters who can function effectively and efficiently in healthcare settings.
Through academic preparation, practical skills training and service in community based health care settings, certificate candidates learn interpreting skills in English and a Language Of Service (LOS). Both California and National Standards of Practice are included in the instruction. Graduates find employment interpreting in hospitals, clinics, or freelancing for remote and onsite interpreting agencies.
For more information:
Tentative Cohort Schedules for Admissions
* Tentatively scheduled - contingient on internship availability and at least 5 qualified applicants.
** Mandarin cohort pending language coach availability.
* Students should take HLTH 84 regardless of when the language cohort begins to ensure the program has a list of qualified applicants.
Other possible future language cohorts:
For more information, please contact the program coordinator, Darouny Somsanith, at email@example.com.
Upon successful completion of the program students will be able to
demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Interpret accurately between English and LOS in various health care settings; integrating appropriate medical terminology in both languages and enhancing communication between a provider and patient during routine and complex medical encounters
- Manage the flow of communication through a variety of interpreting techniques
- Apply and demonstrate the four principle roles of the interpreter in health care as described in professional HCI standards of practice
- Bridge cultural gaps and assist Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients and providers to appreciate diverse cultural beliefs and practices regarding health and healthcare
- Demonstrate and apply appropriate ethical standards in Healthcare Interpreting as promulgated by the California Healthcare Interpreting Association (CHIA) and the National Council for Interpreting in Health Care (NCIHC)
The mission of the Health Care Interpreter Certificate Program is develop linguistically and culturally competent interpreters who can function effectively and efficiently in healthcare settings.