This can be either a two or four semester program, for a Certificate of Completion in the Dental Assisting Program.
The one year program is designed for those individuals who already have degrees, who are reentering school, who are changing careers, or who wish to learn to be trained as Dental Assistants to enter the profession in a shorter period of time.
Enrollment is open to all interested individuals. The prerequisites for admission to the program are completion of
- ENGL 88 or ESL 186 or placement in ENGL 1A or ESL 188*
- BIO 9 or BIO 106 (formerly ANAT 14) or BIO 108 (formerly ANAT 25) or BIO 112 (formerly PHYS 1 or PHYS 12) or equivalent
- Proof of typing 45 WPM or Keyboarding course *
* This requirement may be satisfied by completion of Business 79A (or a computer data entry course) with a grade of C or higher, or provide proof of having passed a typing test at 45wpm or completing a typing/computer class in middle/high school.
Applicants are expected to complete and provide proof the following prior to the first semester of the program:
- TB test within the last two years
- CPR for Healthcare Providers Certificate
- Completion of the first two Hep B vaccines
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
Students may obtain the Certificate of Completion in Dental Assisting by completing the courses with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
|DENT 51||APPLIED DENTAL SCIENCE I||4|
|DENT 52||DENTAL MATERIALS||3|
|DENT 53||INTRODUCTION TO CHAIRSIDE ASSISTING||3|
|DENT 55A||DENTAL ROEMTGENOGRAPHY||2|
|DENT 62||THE DENTAL ASSISTANT IN PRACTICE||3|
|Total Semester Units||15|
|DENT 54||APPLIED DENTAL SCIENCE II||2|
|DENT 55B||DENTAL ROENTGENOGRAPHY||2|
|DENT 57||DENTAL OFFICE MANAGEMENT||3|
|DENT 67||ADVANCED DENTAL PROCEDURES||4|
|DENT 70||CLINICAL CHAIRSIDE ASSISTING||7|
|DENT 110A||CORONAL POLISHING||.5|
|Total Semester Units||18.5|
|TOTAL PROGRAM UNITS||33.5|
Note: Upon the completion of the Certificate Program in Dental Assisting, the student is eligible to take the National Certification Examination, given by the Dental Assisting National Board, Chicago, Illinois, and may also take the Registered Dental Assistant Exam, given by the California Board of Dentistry.