Announcement of Curriculum
The Nutrition Assistant Program is a two-semester certificate program designed to develop competency in the delivery of nutrition-related services. Graduates of the program work as entry-level nutrition staff in public health settings and hospitals.
Upon successful completion of the program students will be able to:
1. Develop and attain the knowledge, skills, and competencies in the delivery of nutrition-related services in
preparation for entry-level employment in the nutrition field.
2. Apply and integrate theoretical knowledge and acquire practical skills at supervised practice sites under
the guiidance of a registered dietitian.
a. Describe the organization, its goals / purposes, and delivery of services.
b. Communicate program value.
c. Conduct program evaluation.
d. Apply knowledge of basic nutrition principles.
e. Demonstrate cross-cultural competence and respect for diversity.
f. Maintain effective internal and external partnership and interpersonal relationships.
g. Demonstrate personal accountability.
h. Maintain accurate records and reports.
i. Demonstrate excellence in teaching.
j. Administer nutrition screening, assessment, and counseling (of low-risk clients under
supervision of Registered Dietitian).
k. Apply knowledge of food safety and sanitation.
l. Demonstrate technology literacy.
3. Achieve or progress towards educational or career advancement in nutrition and health field.
Nutrition Assistant - Credit Certificate Curriculum
The Nutrition Assistant Program starts each Fall Semester.
Admission to the program is based on the following:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or have passed the G.E.D. test or have passed the California High School Proficiency examination.
- Completion of HLTH 170 - Introduction to Dietetics Profession with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Recommended English proficiency level: Placement in ENGL 90 or ESL 160, or completion of ESL 150 with a grade of “C” or higher.
** All applicants to the program must enroll in HLTH 170 which is offered the first five weeks of the Fall semester. Upon completion of HLTH 170 with a grade of "C" or higher, you are admitted to the program and will enroll in the other courses which start the sixth week of the same semester. Program is limited to a maximum of 30 students.
Requirements for Certificate of Achievement - Nutrition Assistant
The certificate requires completion of 17 units. Each course must be completed with a final grade of “C” or higher and a Pass grade in the field experience.
Sequence of Required Completion:
First Semester (Fall)
- HLTH 170 - Intro to Dietetics Profession, 1 Unit
- HLTH 171 - Nutrition for Health (or equivalent basic nutrition course), 3 Units
- HLTH 172 - Foodways, Nutrition and Health, 3 Units
Second Semester (Spring)
- HLTH 173 - Life Span Nutrition and Assessment, 4 Units
- HLTH 174 - Clinical and Community Nutrition, 4 Units
- HLTH 175 - Nutrition Assistant Field Experience, 2 Units
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED = 17