Pharmacy Technician Program
The Pharmancy Technician Program is a two semester program that prepares students to work as technicians under the direct supervision of a pharmacist. Students may obtain the Certificate of Achievement in Pharmancy Technician by successfully completing the 30 units of instruction consisting of didactic and practical experience in a community or hospital pharmacy.
In the classroom, sudents will learn the role and function of pharmacy technicians. The practical experience is in a retail or hospital pharmacy practice setting in the San Francisco Bay Area. Students will have the opportunity to complete their clinical experience during the course of the program under the direction of a licensed pharmacist.
First Semester: PHTC 101 and PHTC 102
Second Semester: PHTC 103 and PHTC 104
Both theory and clinical courses must be taken in the same semester. Students will complete clinical hours in the classroom and off-site at a pharmacy.
Each course must be completed with a final grade of "C" or higher.
- 18 years of age or older
- Official high school transcript indicating graduated or G.E.D.
- A 2.0 grade point average (GPA) on prior college or high school transcripts is advised
- An individual orientation
A physicial examination, negative TB test, and proof of immuity for specified communicable diseases.
All applicants must attend an orientation. You must bring ONE of the following documents with you:
- Copy of your CCSF Placement Test results or test waiver
- Copy of your CCSF transcript
- Copy of your college transcript or diploma indicating an award of an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree or higher
Prerequistes and Preferred or Completed Courses:
MATH 40 or placement in Math 60 and ENGL 93 or 95 or 88 or placement in ENGL 96 or 88B.
Preferred or completed:
- Successful completion of a course in Introductions to Computers
- Documentation that student types 35 words per minute
Employment of pharmancy technicians is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the averae for all occupations.
For more informations regarding the job outlook for Pharmancy Technicians, click on the link below.