Be inspired to learn German! (Note: This is originally a promotional video for USF)
Why Study German? Let us count the ways!
- Give your résumé the edge to apply for incredible opportunities for studies, internships, and scholarships in German speaking companies and countries: https://www.daad.de/en/.
- Get the greatest “language bonus” according to a recent study published in "The Economist”.
- Boost your international career with help from the “Germany-USA Career Center.”
Some useful facts about Germany and German-speaking countries:
- German is the official language in seven countries of the European Union: Germany, Austria, some regions of Switzerland and Belgium, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Italy (Südtirol) and ranks among the top 10 languages most frequently spoken in the world.
- Germany has the largest economy in the European Union and the fourth largest in the world.
- Germany, Switzerland and Austria are home to many international corporations; most are represented in the U.S. These include such well-known names as Genentech, SAP, Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Volkswagen, Bayer, BASF, Siemens, Adidas, Bosch, T-Mobile, Lufthansa, and many more.
- more than 2,000 major American firms do business in German-speaking countries.
- German is a leading language in science, literature, philosophy, theology, history, music, film and art.
- German universities have a long tradition and an excellent international reputation, and tuition is free even for international students with programs offered in English.
- You can read here about being an international student in Germany (Deutsches Studentenwerk): International students studying in Germany
For those interested in looking into Master's programs in Germany, here's a useful link: Masters Study in Germany
But first! Enroll in one of CCSF's German language classes. Day, evening, and online options are available.