Japanese Language Placement Advisory Test

Mt. Fuji, Japan

Students with a previous background in the study of Japanese (in high school or at another school or college) may take the placement test. The test results will help to determine your appropriate CCSF course level.  Based on the test results and after consultation with the test advisor, the student may sign up to earn extra units based on previous study. Thus, if you had, for example, two years of high school Japanese with good grades, you would take the placement test and talk to the advisor.  If the test and advisor recommend that you enroll in Japanese 2 (for example), you will take that course and upon completion of Japanese 2 with a grade of A or B, City College will award you units for both Japanese 1 and 2 (five units per course for a total of 10 units). The extra units, however, will not earn a letter grade.  There is no charge to the student for the additional units. At this time, the units awarded only apply to the following classes:

            Japanese 1, 1A,1B            Japanese 2, 2A, 2B            

            Japanese 3, 3A, 3B            Japanese 4, 4A, 4B

Here are the procedures:

1.  Stop by Arts 203 (the Japanese Program office) to pick up the Scantron answer sheet. 

2.  Click here.

3.  Click 1.  PLACEMENT TEST

4.  Ignore the first two instructions.  Read the third instruction (which begins: “This test contains 100 items.”) and follow the directions to take the test.  Use a #2 pencil to mark the answer sheet. 

5.  When you have completed the test, bring the answer sheet to Arts 203.

6.  After three working days, you should check with the test advisor (in most cases, Mikiko Matsumura or Yoshi Inomata) for test results and consultation.

You must complete the “Contract for Credit for Previous Study of Japanese” form so that we know you want us to grant you the credit for previous study upon completion of your CCSF Japanese course.  The CCSF Foreign Language Department thanks the Office of Matriculation for their support in operating this program.